The text and the world : the Henryków book, its authors, and their region, 1160-1310
- Piotr Górecki.
- First edition.
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2015.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xvi, 288 pages : maps ; 24 cm
- Górecki, Piotr, 1955- author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 261-274) and index.
- Introduction Part One: The Text
- 1: In Search of the Authors
- 2: The Past as a Legal Resource
- 3: Writing, Memory, and Knowledge
- 4: Communities of Memory and Knowledge Part Two: The World
- 5: Gathering the Monastic Estate
- 6: The World of Abbot Peter
- 7: The Long Thirteenth Century: The World of Peter's Continuator
- 8: The Long Thirteenth Century: Peasants and Townspeople Transformed
- 9: The Text and the World Bibliography.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
The Text and the World concerns one highly specific place and document-a medieval Cistercian monastery, and its remarkably interesting history, compiled at the monastery itself, for the monks' use-and explores several subjects now of great interest to all medieval historians, such as ethnicity and interethnic relations; comparative power and lordship; legal conflict; collective memory; and the expansion of literacy in the late-thirteenth century.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
Browse related items
Start at call number: