Learning from electronic health records [electronic resource] : enabling the learning healthcare system
- Kenneth Jung.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource.
- Jung, Kenneth.
- Shah, Nigam, primary advisor.
- Mackey, Lester, advisor.
- Musen, Mark A., advisor.
- Stanford University. Program in Biomedical Informatics.
- The widespread adoption of Electronic Health Records (EHRs) is an unprecedented opportunity to expand the evidence base of clinical medicine by embedding data generation and capture in routine clinical care. We present two case studies in which we demonstrate how to use the free text of clinical notes, in combination with domain knowledge, to address problems in post-marketing drug safety and surveillance. We then present evidence that, surprisingly, very simple and scalable methods work as well as more complex methods of extracting information from clinical text for purposes of clinical research.
- Publication date
- Submitted to the Program in Biomedical Informatics.
- Thesis (Ph.D.)--Stanford University, 2015.