The experiences of black and minority ethnic academics : a comparative study of the unequal academy
- Kalwant Bhopal.
- London ; New York : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2016.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 162 pages ; 24 cm.
- Routledge research in higher education.
- Bhopal, Kalwant author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. Introduction
- 2. Higher Education in the UK and USA
- 3. The Research and Methodology
- 4. Theoretical Understandings of Identity in the Academy
- 5. 'Outsiders' in the Academy?
- 6. Climbing the Ladder: Promotion and progression
- 7. Inclusion, Equality and Social Justice
- 8. Conclusions.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Recent research suggests that Black and minority ethnic (BME) academics remain underrepresented, particularly at senior levels in higher education, and tend to be concentrated in new, post-1992 universities. This book provides an original comparative study of BME academics in both the UK and the USA, two different yet similar cultural and political climates, considering issues of inequality, difference and identity in the Academy. Presenting a distinctive and engaging voice, the book discusses the complexity of race, gender and identity in the context of higher education, an area that continues to appear to be dominated by white, middle class values and perspectives. Chapters offer an up-to-date commentary on the purpose, failures and potential of research on race, gender and identity, and its place within contemporary education and sociology. The book broadens the understanding of educational research, considering both sociological and cultural discourse, as well as examining racialized and gendered identities from a theoretical and analytical standpoint. The book closes by offering suggestions for viable policy shifts in this area. The Experiences of Black and Minority Ethnic Academics will be of key interest to researchers, academics and postgraduate students in the field of education, as well as sociologists wanting to learn more about black and minority academics in higher education.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Faculty integration > Great Britain.
- Faculty integration > United States.
- Minorities in higher education > Great Britain.
- Minorities in higher education > United States.
- Minority college teachers > Great Britain.
- Minority college teachers > United States.
- College teachers, Black > Great Britain.
- African American college teachers.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Routledge research in higher education
- 9780415736695 (hardback)
- 0415736692 (hardback)
- 9781315818344 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: