Performance characteristics of the Atlas 60 kV, 60 kJ plastic capacitors [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy. ; Oak Ridge, Tenn. : distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy, 1997
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (5 p. ) : digital, PDF file.
- This paper provides the performance data of Atlas plastic capacitors as supplied by Maxwell Technologies and Aerovox Corporation. The fiberglass cases at 13 inches high by 29 inches wide and 28 inches in depth with a 2 inch by 18 inch bushing on each end. Two styles of the 33.5uF capacitors have been evaluated for Atlas use, a conventional paper-foil and a self-healing metalized-paper and plastic dielectric design. A test program to capacitor failure, is being used to evaluate capacitor lifetime at full voltage (60 kV) and a nominal 15% reversal. With the Atlas parameters, peak currents of ∼ 340 kA are realized. In anticipation of faults, capacitors are capable, specified, and tested for 700 kA performance. Accurate methods are also utilized to determine capacitor inductance, less than 20 nH. The results of the various capacitor testing programs will be presented in addition to future directives for their R and D efforts.
- Publication date
- Published through SciTech Connect.
- " conf-9706113--"
- 11. IEEE international pulsed power conference, Baltimore, MD (United States), 29 Jun - 2 Jul 1997.
- Parsons, W.; Bowman, D.; Lopez, E.; Reass, W.; Monroe, M.; Bennet, G.
- Funding information