Environmental surveillance at Los Alamos during 2008 [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy. ; Oak Ridge, Tenn. : distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy, 2009
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (384 p. ) : digital, PDF file.
- Los Alamos National Laboratory. Researcher
- United States. Dept. of Energy. Sponsor
- United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information. Distributor
- Fuehne, David Author
- Rogers, David Author
- Hjeresen, Denny Author
- Isaacson, John Author
- Morgan, Terry Author
- Paulson, David Author
- Gallagher, Pat Author
- Johson, Scot Author
- Environmental Surveillance at Los Alamos reports are prepared annually by the Los Alamos National Laboratory (the Laboratory) Environmental Programs Directorate, as required by US Department of Energy Order 450.1, General Environmental Protection Program, and US Department of Energy Order 231.1A, Environment, Safety, and Health Reporting. These annual reports summarize environmental data that are used to determine compliance with applicable federal, state, and local environmental laws and regulations, executive orders, and departmental policies. Additional data, beyond the minimum required, are also gathered and reported as part of the Laboratory’s efforts to ensure public safety and to monitor environmental quality at and near the Laboratory. Chapter 1 provides an overview of the Laboratory’s major environmental programs and explains the risks and the actions taken to reduce risks at the Laboratory from environmental legacies and waste management operations. Chapter 2 reports the Laboratory’s compliance status for 2007. Chapter 3 provides a summary of the maximum radiological dose the public and biota populations could have potentially received from Laboratory operations and discusses chemical exposures. The environmental surveillance and monitoring data are organized by environmental media (Chapter 4, air; Chapters 5 and 6, water and sediments; Chapter 7, soils; and Chapter 8, foodstuffs and biota) in a format to meet the needs of a general and scientific audience. Chapter 9 provides a summary of the status of environmental restoration work around LANL. A glossary and a list of acronyms and abbreviations are in the back of the report. Appendix A explains the standards for environmental contaminants, Appendix B explains the units of measurements used in this report, Appendix C describes the Laboratory’s technical areas and their associated programs, and Appendix D provides web links to more information.
- Publication date
- Published through SciTech Connect.
- Fuehne, David; Rogers, David; Hjeresen, Denny; Isaacson, John; Morgan, Terry; Paulson, David; Gallagher, Pat; Johson, Scot.
- Funding Information