High Frequency, High Gradient Dielectric Wakefield Acceleration Experiments at SLAC and BNL [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Science ; Oak Ridge, Tenn. : distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy, 2012
- Physical description
- 1 online resource.
- SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory. Researcher
- United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Science. Sponsor
- United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information. Distributor
- Muggli, Patric Author
- Rosenzweig, James Author
- Hogan, Mark J. (Scientist) Author
- Travish, Gil Author
- Given the recent success of >GV/m dielectric wakefield accelerator (DWA) breakdown experiments at SLAC, and follow-on coherent Cerenkov radiation production at the UCLA Neptune, a UCLA-USC-SLAC collaboration is now implementing a new set of experiments that explore various DWA scenarios. These experiments are motivated by the opportunities presented by the approval of FACET facility at SLAC, as well as unique pulse-train wakefield drivers at BNL. The SLAC experiments permit further exploration of the multi-GeV/m envelope in DWAs, and will entail investigations of novel materials (e.g. CVD diamond) and geometries (Bragg cylindrical structures, slab-symmetric DWAs), and have an over-riding goal of demonstrating >GeV acceleration in ≈33 cm DWA tubes. In the nearer term before FACET's commissioning, we are planning measurements at the BNL ATF, in which we drive ≈50-200 MV/m fields with single pulses or pulse trains. These experiments are of high relevance to enhancing linear collider DWA designs, as they will demonstrate potential for efficient operation with pulse trains.
- Publication date
- Published through SciTech Connect.
- 1st International Particle Accelerator Conference: IPAC'10, 23-28 May 2010, Kyoto, Japan.
- Muggli, Patric; Rosenzweig, James; Hogan, Mark; Travish, Gil.
- Funding Information