The wisdom goddess : feminine motifs in eight Nag Hammadi documents
- Rose Horman Arthur.
- Lanham, MD : Unversity Press of America, c1984.
- Physical description
- xiv, 238 p. : port. ; 23 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Publisher's Summary
- Examines the defeminization which accompanies the Christianization appearing within the body of the eight gnostic texts which represent the Nag Hammadi documents. Traces the decline in the symbolic prestige of personified feminine Sophia (wisdom) from the pre-Christian documents to later Christianized and Christian works.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780819141712 20160528
- Publication date
- "With critical translations of On the origin of the world and The thunder by Richard L. Arthur."
- Related Work
- Nag Hammadi codices Selections. English. 1984.
- 0819141712 (alk. paper) : $23.75
- 0819141720 (pbk. : alk. paper) : $12.50
- 9780819141712 (alk. paper)
- 9780819141729 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: