The Wiley-Blackwell companion to political sociology
- edited by Edwin Amenta, Kate Nash, and Alan Scott.
- Chichester, West Sussex ; Malden, MA : Wiley-Blackwell, 2012.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xxiii, 611 pages) : illustrations.
- Blackwell companions to sociology.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Notes on Contributors ix Introduction xxi Edwin Amenta, Kate Nash and Alan Scott PART I APPROACHES TO POWER AND POLITICS 1 Marxist Approaches to Power 3 Bob Jessop 2 Weber and Political Sociology 15 Peter Breiner 3 Durkheim and Durkheimian Political Sociology 27 Kenneth Thompson 4 Foucaultian Analysis of Power, Government, Politics 36 Barry Hindess 5 Historical Institutionalism 47 Edwin Amenta 6 Sociological Institutionalism and World Society 57 Evan Schofer, Ann Hironaka, David John Frank and Wesley Longhofer 7 Studying Power 69 John Scott 8 Comparative Political Analysis: Six Case-Oriented Strategies 78 Charles C. Ragin and Garrett Andrew Schneider PART II STATES AND GOVERNANCE A. Formation and Form 9 Theories of State Formation 95 Gianfranco Poggi 10 State 107 Desmond King and Patrick Le Gale'--s 11 Political Legitimacy 120 David Beetham 12 Political Corruption 130 Donatella della Porta and Alberto Vannucci B. Governance and Political Process 13 Parties and Interest Intermediation 144 Herbert Kitschelt 14 Interest Groups and Pluralism 158 David Knoke and Xi Zhu 15 Elections 168 Jeff Manza C. Violence and States 16 War 180 Antoine Bousquet 17 Terrorism 190 Jeff Goodwin 18 Globalization and Security 204 Didier Bigo 19 Incarceration as a Political Institution 214 Sarah Shannon and Christopher Uggen PART III THE POLITICAL AND THE SOCIAL A. States and Civil Society 20 Culture, State and Policy 229 Brian Steensland and Christi M. Smith 21 Civil Society and the Public Sphere 240 Larry Ray 22 Trust and Social Capital 252 Arnaldo Bagnasco 23 The Media and Politics 263 John B. Thompson B. The Politics of Identity and Action 24 Imagined Communities 273 Alan Finlayson 25 Gender, Power, Politics 283 Jonathan Dean 26 Class, Culture and Politics 294 Mike Savage 27 The Politics of Ethnicity and Identity 305 Aletta J. Norval 28 Race and Politics 315 John D. Skrentny and Rene Patnode 29 Nationalism: Its Role and Significance in a Globalized World 325 John Schwarzmantel 30 Religion and Political Sociology 336 Valerie Amiraux 31 Body Politics 347 Roberta Sassatelli C. Citizenship 32 Citizenship and Welfare: Politics and Social Policies 360 Sven Hort and Goran Therborn 33 Citizenship and Gender 372 Ruth Lister 34 Post-national Citizenship: Rights and Obligations of Individuality 383 Yasemin Nuhog lu Soysal PART IV DEMOCRACY AND DEMOCRATIZATION A. Social Movements 35 Protest and Political Process 397 David S. Meyer 36 Global Social Movements and Transnational Advocacy 408 Valentine M. Moghadam 37 Global Governance and Environmental Politics 421 Brenda Holzinger and Gabriela Kutting 38 Rural Social Movements 431 Marc Edelman B. Structures of Participation 39 Towards a Political Sociology of Human Rights 444 Kate Nash 40 Democratization 454 Dietrich Rueschemeyer 41 Feminism and Democracy 466 Judith Squires 42 Democracy and Capitalism in the Wake of the Financial Crisis 478 Colin Crouch References 491 Index 565.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781444355062 20181029
- Publisher's Summary
- The Wiley-Blackwell Companion to Political Sociology is a complete reference guide, reflecting the scope and quality of the discipline, and highlighting emerging topics in the field. * Global in focus, offering up-to-date topics from an interdisciplinary, international set of scholars addressing key issues concerning globalization, social movements, and citizenship* The majority of chapters are new, including those on environmental politics, international terrorism, security, corruption, and human rights * Revises and updates all previously published chapters to include new themes and topics in political sociology* Provides an overview of scholarship in the field, with chapters working independently and collectively to examine the full range of contributions to political sociology* Offers a challenging yet accessible and complete reference guide for students and scholars.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781444355062 20181029
- Publication date
- Blackwell companions to sociology
- 9781118384749 (electronic bk.)
- 1118384741 (electronic bk.)
- 9781444355093 (electronic bk.)
- 1444355090 (electronic bk.)
- 1444355066 (electronic bk.)
- 9781444355062 (electronic bk.)