The handbook of critical intercultural communication
- edited by Thomas K. Nakayama and Rona Tamiko Halualani.
- Chichester, West Sussex, U.K. ; Malden, MA : Wiley-Blackwell, 2010.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xviii, 630 pages).
- Handbooks in communication and media.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Critical intercultural communication studies / Rona Tamiko Halualani, Thomas K .Nakayama
- pt. 1: Critical junctures and reflections in our field. Part introduction
- Writing the intellectual history of intercultural communication / Wendy Leeds-Hurwitz
- Critical reflections on culture and critical intercultural communication / Dreama G Moon
- Reflecting upon "enlarging conceptual boundaries: a critique of research in intercultural communication" / Alberto Gonázlez
- Intercultural communication and dialectics revisited / Judith N Martin, Thomas K Nakayama
- Reflections on "problematizing 'nation' in intercultural communication research" / Kent A. Ono
- Reflections on "bridging paradigms: how not to throw out the baby of collective representation with the functionalist bathwater in critical intercultural communication" / S. Lily Mendoza
- Revisiting the borderlands of critical intercultural communication / Leda Cooks
- Expanding the circumference of intercultural communication study / William J Starosta, Guo-Ming Chen
- pt. 2: Critical dimensions in intercultural communication studies. Part introduction
- Internationalizing critical race communication studies / Raka Shome
- Re-imagining intercultural communication in the context of globalization / Kathryn Sorrells
- Culture as text and culture as theory / Yoshitaka Miike
- Entering the inter / Aimee Carrillo Rowe
- Speaking of difference / Crispin Thurlow
- Speaking against the hegemony of english / Yukio Tsuda
- Coculturation / Melissa L Curtin
- Public memories in the shadow of the other / Jolanta A Drzewiecka
- Critical intercultural communication, remembrances of george washington williams, and the rediscovery of élopold ii's "crimes against humanity" / Marouf Hasian
- pt. 3: Critical topics in intercultural communication studies. part introduction
- Situating gender in critical intercultural communication studies / Lara Lengel, Scott C Martin
- Identity and difference / Ronald L Jackson, Jamie Moshin
- Br(other) in the classroom / Bryant Keith Alexander
- When frankness goes funky / Jim Perkinson
- Iterative hesitancies and latinidad / Bernadette Marie Calafell, Shane T Moreman
- We got game / Lisa A Flores, Karen Lee Ashcraft, Tracy Marafiote
- It really isn't about you / John T Warren
- Critical reflections on a pedagogy of ability / Deanna L Fassett
- The scarlet letter, vigilantism, and the politics of sadism / Richard Morris
- Authenticity and identity in the portable homeland / Victoria Chen
- Layers of nikkei / Etsuko Kinefuchi
- Placing south asian digital diasporas in second life / Radhika Gajjala
- The creed of the white kid / Melissa Steyn
- A critical reflection on an intercultural communication workshop / Hsin-I Cheng
- Quit whining and tell me about your experiences! / Sara DeTurk
- A proposal for concerted collaboration between critical scholars of intercultural and organizational communication / Brenda J Allen
- pt. 4: Critical visions of intercultural communication studies. / Thomas K Nakayama, Rona Tamiko Halualani.
The Handbook of Critical Intercultural Communication aims to furnish scholars with a consolidated resource of works that highlights all aspects of the field, its historical inception, logics, terms, and possibilities. * A consolidated resource of works that highlights all aspects of this developing field, its historical inception, logics, terms, and possibilities * Traces the significant historical developments in intercultural communication * Helps students and scholars to revisit, assess, and reflect on the formation of critical intercultural communication studies * Posits new directions for the field in terms of theorizing, knowledge production, and social justice engagement.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Handbooks in communication and media
- 9781444390681 (electronic bk.)
- 1444390686 (electronic bk.)
- 9781444390667 (electronic bk.)
- 144439066X (electronic bk.)
- 9781444350661 (electronic bk.)
- 1444350668 (electronic bk.)
- 9781444390674 (electronic bk.)
- 1444390678 (electronic bk.)