The new Blackwell companion to medical sociology
- edited by William C. Cockerham.
- Chichester, U.K. ; Malden, MA : Wiley-Blackwell, 2010.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xvii, 596 pages) : illustrations.
- Blackwell companions to sociology.
- Cockerham, William C.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Preface Part I: Introduction: 1. Medical Sociology and Sociological Theory: William C. Cockerham (University of Alabama) and Graham Scambler (University College, London) 2. Health and Culture: Stella Quah (National University of Singapore) 3. The Sociology of the Body: Sarah Nettleton (University of York) Part II: Health and Social Inequalities: 4. Health and Social Stratification: Eero Lahelma (University of Helsinki) 5. Health Status and Gender: Ellen Annandale (University of Leicester) 6. Health, Ethnicity, and Race: Hannah Bradby (University of Warwick) and James Y. Nazroo (University of Manchester) Part III: Health and Social Relationships: 7. Health and Religion: Ellen L. Idler (Emory University) 8. Health Lifestyles: Bringing Structure Back: William C. Cockerham (University of Alabama) 9. Social Capital and Health: Lijun Song (Vanderbilt University), Joonmo Son (National University of Singapore), and Nan Lin (Duke University) 10. Medicalization, Social Control, and the Relief of Suffering: Joseph E. Davis (University of Virginia) 11. Stress: William R. Avison (University of Western Ontario) and Stephanie S. Thomas (University of Western Ontario) 12. Stress in the Workplace: Johannes Siegrist (University of Dusseldorf) Part IV: Health and Disease: 13. Emerging Infectious Diseases, Urbanization, and Globalization in the Time of Global Warming: George J. Armelagos (Emory University) and Kristin N. Harper (Columbia University) 14. Chronic Illness: Kathy Charmaz (Sonoma State University) and Dana Rosenfeld (University of Keele) Part V: Health Care Delivery: 15. Health Professions and Occupations: Elianne Riska (University of Helsinki) 16. Challenges to the Doctor-Patient Relationship in the Twenty-First Century: Jennifer Vanderminden (University of New Hampshire) and Sharyn J. Potter (University of New Hampshire) 17. Complementary and Alternative Medicine: Processes of Legitimation, Professionalization, and Cooption: Hans A. Baer (University of Melbourne) 18. The American Health Care System: Beginning the Twenty-First Century with High Risk, Major Challenges, and Great Opportunities: Bernice A. Pescosolido (Indiana University) and Carol A. Boyer (Rutgers University) 19. The British Health Care System: Michael Bury (University of London) 20. The Convergence and Divergence of Modern Health Care Systems: Fred Stevens (University of Maastricht) 21. Social Policies and Health Inequalities: Amelie Quesnel-Vallee (McGill University) and Tania Jenkins (McGill University) Part VI: New Developments: 22. A Sociological Gaze on Bioethics: Kristina Orfali (Columbia University) and Raymond G. DeVries (University of Michigan Medical School) 23. Medical Sociology and Genetics: Paul A. Martin (University of Nottingham) and Robert Dingwall (University of Nottingham) 24. New Developments in Neuroscience and Medical Sociology: Simon J. Williams (University of Warwick) Author Index Subject Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781405188685 20160605
- Publisher's Summary
- An authoritative, topical, and comprehensive reference to the key concepts and most important traditional and contemporary issues in medical sociology.* Contains 35 chapters by recognized experts in the field, both established and rising young scholars* Covers standard topics in the field as well as new and engaging issues such as bioterrorism, bioethics, and infectious disease* Chapters are thematically arranged to cover the major issues of the sub-discipline* Global range of contributors and an international perspective.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781405188685 20160605
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Companion to medical sociology
- Blackwell companions to sociology
- Related Work
- Blackwell companion to medical sociology.
- Available in another form
- Print version: New Blackwell companion to medical sociology. Chichester, U.K. ; Malden, MA : Wiley-Blackwell, 2010 ( 9781405188685 )
- 9781444314793 (electronic bk.)
- 1444314793 (electronic bk.)
- 9781405188685 (hardcover ; alk. paper)
- 1405188685 (hardcover ; alk. paper)