The Blackwell companion to the sociology of families
- edited by Jacqueline L. Scott, Judith K. Treas, and Martin Richards.
- Malden, MA : Blackwell Pub., ©2004.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xxv, 596 pages) : illustrations.
- Blackwell companions to sociology ; 9.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 515-583) and index.
- pt. I. Families in a global world. 1. Globalization and western bias in family sociology / Don Edgar
- 2. Changing European families: trends and issues / Kathleen Kiernan
- 3. Recent demographic trends in the US and implications for well-being / Sinikka Elliott, Debra Umberson
- 4. Children, families, states, and changing citizenship / Hilary Land
- 5. Families and local communities / Graham Crow, Catherine Maclean
- pt. II. Life-course perspectives on the family. 6. Generations, the life course, and family change / J. Beth Mabry, Roseann Giarrusso, Vern L. Bengtson
- 7. Children's families / Jacqueline Scott
- 8. Aging and the life course / Chris Phillipson, Graham Allan
- 9. Parenting practices / Duane F. Alwin
- 10. Time, through the life course, in the family / Jonathan Gershuny
- pt. III. Inequality and diversity. Inequality and the family / Philip N. Cohen, Danielle MacCartney
- 12. Families of the poor / Robert Walker, Claire Collins
- 13. Social capital and the family / Frank F. Furstenberg, Sarah B. Kaplan
- 14. Family, the state, and health care: changing roles in the new century / Ronald J. Angel, Jacqueline L. Angel
- 15. Immigrant families in the US / Karen Pyke
- 16. Immigrant families in the UK / Alison Shaw
- pt. IV. Changing family forms and relationships. 17. Religion, romantic love, and the family / Bryan S. Turner
- 18. Trends in the formation and dissolution of couples / Joanne J. Paetsch ... [and others]
- 19. Children, families, and divorce / Jan Pryor, Liz Trinder
- 20. The lesbian and gay family / Jeffrey Weeks, Brian Heaphy, Catherine Donovam [sic, i.e. Donovan]
- 21. Couples and their networks / Eric Widmer
- 22. Men in families and households / David H.J. Morgan
- pt. V. Changing social contexts. 23. Sex and family: changes and challenges / Judith Treas
- 24. Feminism and the family / Michelle Budig
- 25. Work and families / Shirley Dex
- 26. Public policy and families / Wendy Sigle-Rushton, Catherine Kenney
- 27. Assisted reproduction, genetic technologies, and family life / Martin Richards
- 28. Families in a runaway world / Ulrich Beck, Elisabeth Beck-Gernsheim.
- Tackling issues relevant to family life today, thisauthoritative Companion shows why studying social change in families is fundamental for understanding the transformations in individual and social life, across the globe. * Contains original essays by expert contributors on a wide range of topics relating to the sociology of families. * Includes coverage of social inequality, parenting practices, children's work, the changing patterns of citizenship, and multi-cultural families. * Gives special attention to European and North American examples. * Discusses previously neglected groups, includin.
- Publication date
- Blackwell companions to sociology ; 9
- Available in another form
- Print version: Blackwell companion to the sociology of families. Malden, MA : Blackwell Pub., ©2004 ( 9780631221586 )
- 9780470998991 (electronic bk. ; Adobe Digital Editions)
- 0470998997 (electronic bk. ; Adobe Digital Editions)
- 0631221581 (hardcover ; alk. paper)
- 9780631221586 (hardcover ; alk. paper)