North Korea, international law and the dual crises : narrative and constructive engagement
- Morse Tan.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2015.
- Physical description
- xvi, 296 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Tan, Morse, author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- The story of a criminal regime
- Dissecting the crimes
- Constructive approaches and solutions.
- Publisher's Summary
- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) has a reputation as one of the worst human rights situations in the world. This book utilizes a unique international law perspective to examine the actions and inactions of North Korea with regard to international security and human rights. Adopting political, military, historical and legal perspectives, the book explores how the two issues of nuclear weapons and the human rights abuses in North Korea are interconnected, and why the international community should apply the same international law framework to find a solution for both. Drawing on eyewitness accounts, such as refugee and defector testimony, Morse Tan offers a real-life story of North Korea that covers the pertinent law, and constructive approaches of its regime. Tan examines the specific objectives and actions of the North Korean government, and measures these according to international legal obligations such as applicable treaty law, jus cogens norms, and customary international law. The book concludes by offering solutions for dealing with international security surrounding the Korean Peninsula, and forwards a proposal for the creation of a tribunal to prosecute those at the top of the regime for international crimes and human rights abuses. As a project exploring the extremes of international law violation, this book will be of great interest and use to readers interested in the history, and political and legal implications of the strategies employed by the North Korea government.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415830621 20160618
- Human rights > Korea (North)
- International crimes > Korea (North)
- International criminal courts > Korea (North)
- Political prisoners > Abuse of > Korea (North)
- Defectors > Korea (North)
- Nuclear weapons > Korea (North)
- Security, International.
- Korea (North) > Politics and government.
- Human rights.
- International crimes.
- International criminal courts.
- Nuclear weapons.
- Political prisoners > Abuse of.
- Politics and government.
- Security, International.
- Korea (North)
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Narrative and constructive engagement
- 9780415830621 hardcover
- 0415830621 hardcover
- 9780203381625 electronic book
- 0203381629 electronic book
Browse related items
Start at call number: