Vinyl [videorecording] ; The Velvet Underground & Nico
- [directed by Andy Warhol] ; edited by Adriano Aprà, Roberto Di Vanni.
- English, Italian. Vinyl: In English with optional soundtrack in Italian, and with optional English subtitles ; The Velvet Underground & Nico in English.
- [Italy] : RaroVideo, 
- Physical description
- 1 videodisc (ca. 133 min.) : sd., b&w and col. ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 guide book (83 p. : ill. ; 19 cm)
- Vinyl (65 min.), 1965
- The Velvet Underground & Nico (67 min.), 1966.
Vinyl is loosely based on Anthony Burgess' Clockwork orange. It features seven characters and loosely placed props including a pole set to one side of the scene. A young man is tied to the pole and is being tortured by Malanga and Olivo. Cigarettes, substances to sniff, paper cups with drinks, belts, masks and other sadomasochist props are visible, as well as drugs in pill form. A cop enters the scene and orders Malanga to sit so that he can be re-educated by the doctor who directs the torture of the boy, whose torture by Potin increases when a vinyl mask is placed on him. The doctor finally frees the boy, embraces and dances with him, while also humiliating him. The boy enjoys the game and the participants all dance while the doctor gives out drugs to sniff.
- The Velvet Underground & Nico features a rehearsal of the band at The Factory. Nico, a German singer, is seated playing a tambourine while her son plays at her feet. Camera work features psychedelic scenes, wild dancing and strobe lighting. A policeman enters to investigate the noise coming from The Factory. He turns off the amplifier, and interrupts the rehearsal. Andy Warhol is seen talking to the policeman, while the Velvet Underground and guests wait around.
- Experimental films.
- Musical films.
- Short films.
- Burgess, Anthony, 1917-1993 > Film adaptations.
- Nico, 1938-1988.
- Andy Warhol's Factory (New York, N.Y.) > Drama.
- Velvet Underground (Musical group)
- Juvenile delinquents > Drama.
- Violence > Drama.
- Rock musicians > United States.
- Rock groups > United States.
- Rock music > 1961-1970.
- Release date
- Production date
- Vinyl originally released as a motion picture in 1965 ; The Velvet Underground & Nico originally released in 1966.
- Title and statement of responsibility from container.
- Special features: interview with Mario Zonta (Andy Warhol Foundation) ; interview with Ernesto Assante (La repubblica).
- Production Credits
- Vinyl: director of photography, Bud Wirtschafter.
- The Velvet Underground & Nico: director of photography, Paul Morissey.
- Vinyl: Tosh Carillo, Gerard Malanga, J.D. McDermott, Robert Olivo, Edie Sedgwick.
- The Velvet Underground & Nico: Lou Reed, John Cale, Gerard Malanga, Billy Name, Stephen Shore, Andy Warhol.
- Vinyl: Italian rating 18 ; The Velvet Underground & Nico: Italian rating T.
- DVD, PAL; aspect ratio 4/3, 1.33:1; 2.0 mono.
- Related Work
- Burgess, Anthony, 1917-1993. Clockwork orange.
- Included Work
- Velvet Underground & Nico.
- Publisher Number
- RVD 40051 Rarovideo
Browse related items
Start at call number: