Towards a rules-based community : an ASEAN legal service
- Jean-Claude Piris and Walter Woon.
- Cambridge, United Kingdom : Cambridge University Press, 2015.
- Physical description
- xxxii, 205 pages ; 22 cm.
- Integration through law (Cambridge, England)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- ASEAN as an organisation
- Towards an ASEAN community
- The ASEAN legal service.
- Publisher's Summary
- In 2007, ASEAN adopted the ASEAN Charter, which stated its ambition to become a 'rules-based' community respecting the rule of law. In order to fulfil this objective, it is vital that the necessary legal infrastructure has effective legal support. This book helps readers to understand the need for and role of such a legal service. To begin with, it explores the way ASEAN and its various institutions have evolved. The current situation with respect to the making of rules and settlement of disputes is then analysed, drawing not only on published primary and secondary materials, but also on the experience of diplomats, officials and legal officers. Finally, the authors draw on their practical experiences, as former attorney-general of an ASEAN member state and former head of the European Council legal service, to make recommendations on how an ASEAN Legal Service might be organised.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781107495265 20160618
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- ASEAN legal service
- Integration through law : the role of law and the rule of law in ASEAN integration
- 9781107495265 paperback
- 1107495261 paperback
Browse related items
Start at call number: