The Grove dictionary of musical instruments
- edited by Laurence Libin.
- Uniform Title
- New Grove dictionary of musical instruments.
- Second edition.
- New York : Oxford University Press, 2014.
- Physical description
- 5 volumes ; 29 cm
At the library
Library has: v.1-
|ML102 .I5 N48 2014 V.1||In-library use|
|ML102 .I5 N48 2014 V.2||In-library use|
|ML102 .I5 N48 2014 V.3||In-library use|
|ML102 .I5 N48 2014 V.4||In-library use|
|ML102 .I5 N48 2014 V.5||In-library use|
- Libin, Laurence editor.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Volume 1. A-Cyndustries
- volume 2. Daāduā-Hymn Technology Ltd
- volume 3. Iamba malebe-Ožragis
- volume 4. Pabarrung-Tiama
- volume 5. Tibia-Zygmuntowicz, Samuel.
- Publisher's summary
The Grove Dictionary of Musical Instruments, 2nd edition, will be the largest, most comprehensive reference publication on worldwide musical instruments. Thirty years ago, the three volumes of the first edition of the dictionary were produced to wide acclaim in the musical community. This second edition reflects the last three decades' tremendous growth in scope and sophistication of the field of organology. At five volumes, it provides greatly expanded coverage, particularly of electronic and experimental instruments, history and techniques of instrument design and manufacture, issues of practical concern, the human body as instrument, and people whose work has shaped the modern understanding of instruments. The dictionary aims to present basic information about the most important instruments worldwide and a broad, representative selection of lesser-known ones of particular significance. Along with instruments and their makers, it discusses subjects of related interest in order to provide a fuller picture of the cultural role of instruments throughout the. By addressing salient issues of contemporary organology (the systematic study of the history, design and technology, and functions of musical instruments of all times and places), the dictionary seeks also to map the directions in which this field is growing in the 21st century, and to encourage further investigation. The dictionary's articles are supplemented by over 600 images and 190 musical examples. An index, abbreviations lists, and list of contributors make navigation easy. With well-researched, informative articles by over 500 authors, including most of the top scholars in the field, The Grove Dictionary of American Music will be accessible to scholars, academic specialists, and the general public.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Previous edition published under title: New Grove dictionary of musical instruments.
- Other edition
- Revision of: New Grove dictionary of musical instruments. London : Macmillan Press ; New York, NY : Grove's Dictionaries of Music, 1984
- 9780199743391 (set (all five volumes) : alk. paper)
- 0199743398 (set (all five volumes) : alk. paper)
- 9780199350308 (v. 1 : alk. paper)
- 0199350302 (v. 1 : alk. paper)
- 9780199350315 (v. 2 : alk. paper)
- 0199350310 (v. 2 : alk. paper)
- 9780199350322 (v. 3 : alk. paper)
- 0199350329 (v. 3 : alk. paper)
- 9780199350339 (v. 4 : alk. paper)
- 0199350337 (v. 4 : alk. paper)
- 9780199350346 (v. 5 : alk. paper)
- 0199350345 (v. 5 : alk. paper)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: