Studying the Dead : the Grateful Dead Scholars Caucus, an informal history
- edited by Nicholas G. Meriwether.
- Lanham, Md. : Scarecrow Press, 2013.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xvi, 317 pages ; 24 cm
- Meriwether, Nicholas G.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction : "If my words did glow" : discoursing the Grateful Dead
- The Grateful Dead scholars caucus : fifteen years of a discourse community
- I: Voices. "The sound of thick air" : the Grateful Dead as experimental composers / Eric F. Levy ; The Taoist perspective in "Weather report suite" / Melinda Belleville ; "In and out of the garden" : sacred and profane in the Grateful Dead phenomenon / Mary Goodenough ; Who is Dionysus and why does he keep following me everywhere? / Stanley J. Spector ; The Grateful Dead parallax / James A. Tuedio ; "Sometimes you get shown the light" : an ethnographer's meditation on boundaries, barriers, and awareness / Natalie J. Dollar ; Remembering the Dead : prologue to a memoir / Lans Smith ; "Trouble with you is the trouble with me" : authenticity, vitality, and tribute bands in the age of mechanical convergence / Matthew C. Armstrong
- II: Conversations. Coming out to raise the Dead : the first caucus / Robert G. Weiner ; Deadhead word jam : the second caucus ; By popular demand : the third caucus / Mary Goodenough ; "Raise that flag" : the fourth caucus / Nicholas G. Meriwether ; "Got to callin' it home" : the fifth caucus / Nicholas G. Meriwether ; "With thought jewels polished and gleaming" : the sixth caucus / Nicholas G. Meriwether ; "Spinning that curious sense of our own" : the seventh caucus / Nicholas G. Meriwether ; "Shall we go?" : the eighth caucus / Christian Crumlish ; "Never had such a good time" : the ninth caucus / Nicholas G. Meriwether ; "When the secrets all are told" : the tenth caucus ; "Seeking all that's still unsung" : the eleventh caucus ; "More than words can tell" : the twelfth caucus ; "Can't talk to you without talking to me" : the thirteenth caucus ; "The secret of this tie that binds" : the fourteenth caucus ; "All the years combine" : the fifteenth caucus
- Conclusion: "Together, more or less in line" : improvising interdisciplinarity in Grateful Dead studies
- Appendix 1: "Head through the thickets" : Unbroken Chain, the First Grateful Dead Academic Symposium
- Appendix 2: A selected checklist of Grateful Dead studies
- The Grateful Dead Scholars Caucus Area Chairs.
- Publisher's Summary
Although academic study of the Grateful Dead began shortly after the group's formation, the dramatic growth of scholarly literature only occurred after the band's formal retirement of the name in 1995. One major incubator of much of this work has been the Grateful Dead area of the Southwest/Texas Popular Culture and American Culture Association. Inaugurated as a separate section in 1998 and nicknamed the Grateful Dead Scholars Caucus, it has produced almost three hundred papers over fifteen years, nearly a third of which have been revised for publication. Caucus presenters have also edited a dozen books and periodical volumes, all of which have drawn on Caucus presentations, some almost exclusively. Studying the Dead: The Grateful Dead Scholars Caucus provides an informal history of the Caucus and sketches its significance as a scholarly community, focusing on its increasing self-awareness, its ability to span diverse disciplinary and theoretical perspectives, and most of all, its contribution to our understanding of the Grateful Dead phenomenon. For the academy as a whole, the Caucus is a fascinating model for the development of discourse communities, from the role of orality to its interrogation of the texts that are derived from them. Remarkable for its interdisciplinary dialogue, the Caucus demonstrates how the nature of the art-and the phenomenon that it studies-can shape these discourses. Though ostensibly aimed at scholars of the Grateful Dead, others who will find this book of interest include students and teachers of popular culture, as well as fans of the band.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9780810891241 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0810891247 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780810891258 (electronic)
- 0810891255 (electronic)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: