International Seminar on Nuclear War and Planetary Emergencies, 46th session [electronic resource] : the role of science in the third millennium..., "E. Majorana" Centre for Scientific Culture, Erice, Italy, 19-24 August 2013
- series editor and Chairman, A. Zichichi ; edited by R. Ragaini.
- Singapore ; Hackensack, N.J. : World Scientific Pub. Co., c2014.
- Physical description
-  p. : ill. (some col.), maps (some col.)
- Science and culture series (Singapore). Nuclear strategy and peace technology.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- 1. Opening session. Why science is needed the third millennium: The fundamental novelty of this year / Antonino Zichichi
- Special session: Lectio Magistralis. The great alliance between politics and science / H. E. Professor Pietro Grasso
- Science and diplomacy in the 21st century / E. William Colglazier
- 2. Nuclear power safety and development. Proposal for self regulation of nuclear safety / Lady Barbara Thomas Judge
- What went right: Resilience of existing reactors to catastrophes - Lessons for generation III+ reactor design / Richard L. Garwin
- Post-Fukushima energy and nuclear policy evolution / Tatsuo Masuda
- Cleaning up a damaged nuclear reactor site / Lake H. Barrett
- Effects of Fukushima on global nuclear development / Charles McCombie
- Ship-based nuclear energy systems for accelerating developing world socioeconomic advance / Robert Petroski and Lowell Wood
- 3. Pollution and water. Remediation technologies for aquatic bioterrorism using endocrine disrupting chemicals / Terrence J. Collins
- Endocrine disrupting chemical impacts on aquatic systems / Susan Jobling
- 4. Climate and the limits of geoengineering. Fundamental pitfalls of engineering climate or geoengineering: Forcefully intervening in what we neither control nor understand / Christopher Essex
- Why geoengineering and climate don't go together / Anastasios A. Tsonis
- Planning for desperate climate intervention: Can it make sense? / Robert Duncan
- 5. Mitigation of megaterrorism and hybrid threats. Terrorism and other threats to civilization / Richard L. Garwin
- States under siege: Rising terrorism and the ascent of political Islam / Pervez Hoodbhoy
- Innovative European solutions in managing the mega-crisis / Friedrich Steinhausler
- 6. Pollution innovative cleanup technologies. Environmental applications of nanotechnology / Arturo A. Keller
- Energy and the environment / Davis L. Ford
- Innovative technologies for chlorinated solvent remediation / Kurt D. Pennell and Natalie L. Capiro
- 7. Information security round table. Permanent monitoring panel on information security plenary round table - Cybersecurity at the crossroads: Are we losing the battle? / Henning Wegener
- 8. Energy - Key to the evolution of cities. Energy and cities: Key to sustainability / Robert Schock
- Scalable approaches to control network dynamics: Prospects for city networks / Adilson E. Motter and Kimberly A. Gray
- Transforming energy systems and Indian initiatives in intelligent grid / Anil Razdan
- 9. Energy as a planetary emergency. Why energy is an economic planetary emergency / Carmine Difiglio
- Oil and the U.S. economy / Steven Kopits
- World economic growth and oil: A producers' perspective / Adnan Shihab-Eldin
- 10. AIDS and infectious diseases. AIDS-related cancers in Africa / Sam M. Mbulaiteye
- Biomarkers of GI alterations in HIV disease / Cinzia Papadia
- Prevention of HIV-1 infection with early antiretroviral therapy: Treatment as prevention - TasP / Ishwar Gilada and T. Gilada
- Computational modeling in support of global eradication of infectious diseases / Philip A. Eckhoff ... [et al.]
- Progression of hepatitis to HCC: Immunological cofactors and genetic biomarkers / Franco M. Buonaguro
- Les liaisons dangereuses: Cancer-related genes and neurodegenerative diseases / Bernardino Ghetti and Franco M. Buonaguro
- 11. PMP reports and conclusions. Climate PMP 2013 / Christopher Essex
- Human factors of terrorism: Where can science contribute: A case study of the Boston marathon bombers / Annette Sobel
- Seismic vulnerability: A growing obstacle to sustainable human settlements in developing countries / Alberto Gonzalez Pozo
- Pollution permanent monitoring panel - 2013 annual report / Lorne G. Everett
- Global water security "the role of science in the third millennium" / E. William Colglazier
- Brain and behaviour PMP (camera-ready contribution not available) / Bernardino Ghetti
- Report of the permanent monitoring panel on energy, 2013 / Carmine Difiglio, Robert Schock and William Barletta
- Mother and child health PMP report: 2011-2012 activities / Nathalie Charpak, Juan G. Ruiz-Pelgez and Socorro de Leon-Mendoza
- AIDS and Infectious Diseases (AID) PMP 2013 report / Franco M. Buonaguro
- Information security PMP report: August 23, 2013 / Henning Wegener
- Fast computing and informatics for ecological science PMP / Horst Wenninger
- Conclusions. The role of science in the third millennium: Closing lecture / Antonino Zichichi
- Seminar participants.
- Proceedings of the 46th Session of the International Seminars on Nuclear War and Planetary Emergencies held in Erice, Sicily. This Seminar has again gathered, in 2013, over 100 scientists from 43 countries in an interdisciplinary effort that has been going on for the last 32 years, to examine and analyze planetary problems which had been followed up, all year long, by the World Federation of Scientists' Permanent Monitoring Panels.
- Publication date
- Science and culture series. Nuclear strategy and peace technology
- Electronic reproduction. Singapore : World Scientific Publishing Co., 2014. System requirements: Adobe Acrobat Reader. Mode of access: World Wide Web. Available to subscribing institutions.
- 9789814623445 electronic bk.