Gender hurts : a feminist analysis of the politics of transgenderism
- Sheila Jeffreys.
- Abingdon, Oxon : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2014.
- Physical description
- 215 pages ; 22 cm
- Jeffreys, Sheila.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 190-210) and index.
- Chapter 1 The Construction of Transgenderism
- Chapter 2 Transgenderism and Feminism
- Chapter 3 Doing Transgender: Really Hurting
- Chapter 4 'A gravy stain on the table': Women in the Lives of Men who Transgender
- Chapter 5 Women Who Transgender: an Antidote to Feminism?
- Chapter 6 Gender Eugenics?: The Transgendering of Children
- Chapter 7 A Clash of Rights: when Gender is Inscribed in the Law
- Chapter 8 Women's Space and the Transgender Challenge Conclusion Bibliography.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
It is only recently that transgenderism has been accepted as a disorder for which treatment is available. In the 1990s, a political movement of transgender activism coalesced to campaign for transgender rights. Considerable social, political and legal changes are occurring in response and there is increasing acceptance by governments and many other organisations and actors of the legitimacy of these rights. This provocative and controversial book explores the consequences of these changes and offers a feminist perspective on the ideology and practice of transgenderism, which the author sees as harmful. It explores the effects of transgenderism on the lesbian and gay community, the partners of people who transgender, children who are identified as transgender and the people who transgender themselves, and argues that these are negative. In doing so the book contends that the phenomenon is based upon sex stereotyping, referred to as 'gender' - a conservative ideology that forms the foundation for women's subordination. Gender Hurts argues for the abolition of 'gender', which would remove the rationale for transgenderism. This book will be of interest to scholars and students of political science, feminism and feminist theory and gender studies.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9780415539395 (hbk)
- 0415539390 (hbk)
- 9780415539401 (pbk)
- 0415539404 (pbk)
- 9781315778266 (ebk)
Browse related items
Start at call number: