Race, gender, and deviance in Xbox live : theoretical perspectives from the virtual margins
- Kishonna L. Gray.
- Waltham, MA : Anderson Publishing, an imprint of Elsevier, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxiv, 88 pages ; 23 cm.
- Theoretical criminology series.
- Gray, Kishonna L., author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 81-88).
- Part I: The Games Chapter 1: Video Games as Ideological Projects Chapter 2: Racing and Gendering the Game Part II: The Gaming Space Chapter 3: Deviant Acts: Racism and Sexism in Virtual Gaming Communities Chapter 4: Deviant Bodies: Racism, Sexism, and Intersecting Oppressions Part III: The Solutions Chapter 5: Deviant Bodies Resisting Deviant Acts Chapter 6: Virtual Tools in the Virtual House?
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780323296496 20160616
- Publisher's Summary
- Race, Gender, and Deviance in Xbox Live provides a much-needed theoretical framework for examining deviant behavior and deviant bodies within one of the largest virtual gaming communities-Xbox Live. Previous research on video games has focused mostly on violence and examining violent behavior resulting from consuming this medium. This limited scope has skewed criminologists' understanding of video games and video game culture. Xbox Live has proven to be more than just a gaming platform for users. It has evolved into a multimedia entertainment outlet for more than 20 million users. This book examines the nature of social interactions within Xbox Live, which are often riddled with deviant behavior, including but not limited to racism and sexism. The text situates video games within a hegemonic framework deploying whiteness and masculinity as the norm. The experiences of the marginalized bodies are situated within the framework of deviance as they fail to conform to the hegemonic norm and become victims of racism, sexism, and other types of harassment.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780323296496 20160616
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Theoretical criminology series
- "Video gameography": page .
Browse related items
Start at call number: