Atlas of historical county boundaries [electronic resource]
- the Newberry Library, Dr. William M. Scholl Center for American History and Culture.
- Chicago : Newberry Library.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- "The Atlas presents in maps and text complete data about the creation and all subsequent changes (dated to the day) in the size, shape, and location of every county in the fifty United States and the District of Columbia. It also includes non-county areas, unsuccessful authorizations for new counties, changes in county names and organization, and the temporary attachments of non-county areas and unorganized counties to fully functioning counties. The principal sources for these data are the most authoritative available: the session laws of the colonies, territories, and states that created and changed the counties"--About the project.
- Counties > United States > Maps.
- United States > Administrative and political divisions > Maps.
- United States > Historical geography > Maps.
- United States > Maps.
- Administrative and political divisions.
- Historical geography.
- United States.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Map Data
- Scales differ ; Albers equal area proj.
- Vol/date range
- Began in 2010.
- Includes downloadable historical state and county shapelines for use with GIS programs from 1629 - 2010. Zipped files include maps, database, and supplemental texts.
- The Newberry Library makes these data available without charge over the Internet in two digital formats: as shapefiles that users can download for use with geographic information system (GIS) software and as interactive maps, derived from the shapefiles, that users can view and manipulate (e.g., pan, zoom, add or subtract modern boundaries) at the Newberry's Website.
- Includes text, interactive maps and indexes.
- File/Data Type
- Includes Raster images and Shape files.