Why we fight [videorecording]
- produced by the Special Service Division, Army Service Forces, in cooperation with the U.S. Army Signal Corps ; produced and directed by Frank Capra.
- English. English subtitles.
- [United States?] : Periscope Film, c2013.
- Physical description
- 2 videodiscs (420 min.) : sd., b&w ; 4 3/4 in.
- FILMSTUD-4-01 -- Introduction to Film Study
- Levi, Pavle
At the library
Art & Architecture Library (Bowes)
Media & Microtext Center
Ask at Media Microtext desk
Library has: disc 1-
- Capra, Frank, 1897-1991.
- United States. Army Pictorial Service.
- United States. Army Service Forces. Information and Education Division.
- United States. Army Service Forces. Morale Service Division.
- United States. Army Service Forces. Special Service Division.
- United States. Army. Signal Corps.
- United States. War Department.
- Periscope Film.
- Disc 1. Prelude to war ; The Nazis strike ; Divide and conquer ; The battle of Britain
- Disc 2. The battle of Russia ; The battle of China ; War comes to America.
- The complete set of seven documentaries, produced by director Frank Capra during World War II at the request of the United States War Department, presented here in uncut versions. These films were required viewing for the armed forces and were also widely shown in civilian theaters. Prelude to war: Reviews events from 1933 to 1939, including the Japanese conquest of Manchuria, the Italian conquest of Ethiopia, and the rise of Hitler. Also discusses the Axis plan of world conquest. The Nazis strike: Documentary film record of Germany's preparations for war, the conquest of Austria and Czechoslovakia, and the attack upon Poland. Divide & conquer: The German attack upon and conquest of Belgium, Holland, and France in 1940. Battle of Britain: Tells the story of the Nazi assault on Britain, and Britain's successful defense of its island, during 1940-41. Battle of Russia: Shows the Russian defense against the Nazi invasion during World War II, focusing on the Battle of Stalingrad. Battle of China: Depicts Japanese aggression against China during World War II and describes Japan's plans for world conquest. War comes to America: explains the events, from 1931 to 1941, that lead to the United States entry into World War II.
- World War, 1939-1945 > Motion pictures and the war.
- World War, 1939-1945 > Propaganda.
- Motion pictures in propaganda > United States.
- War films > United States.
- Propaganda, American.
- World War, 1939-1945 > Campaigns.
- World War, 1939-1945 > Causes.
- World War, 1939-1945 > Europe.
- World War, 1939-1945 > Germany.
- World War, 1939-1945 > Italy.
- World War, 1939-1945 > Japan.
- World War, 1939-1945 > United States.
- United States > History > 1933-1945.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Frank Capra's Why we fight
- Originally released as motion pictures between 1942 and 1945.
- Title taken from container.
- "Frank Capra's epic series" -- Container.
- Production Credits
- Music by the Army Air Force Orchestra.
- Blu-ray, 1080/24P, 4:3 pillar box screen format, mono, digitally remastered and restored in Hi-definition.
Browse related items
Start at call number: