Uncovering student thinking about mathematics in the common core, high school : 25 formative assessment probes
- Cheryl Rose Tobey, Carolyn B. Arline.
- Thousand Oaks, California : Corwin, a SAGE company, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xi, 239 pages : illustrations ; 28 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
QA11.2 .T63 2014
- Unknown QA11.2 .T63 2014
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 226-229) and index.
- Preface: Mathematics Assessment Probes Acknowledgments About the Authors Chapter 1. Mathematics Assessment Probes Questioning Student Understanding: Determine the Key Mathematical Concepts You Want Students to Learn Uncovering Student Understanding: Use a Probe to Uncover Understandings and Areas of Difficulties What Is the Structure of a Probe? QUEST Cycle: Structure of the Supporting Teacher Notes Beginning to Use the Probes How to Navigate the Book Final Chapter 1 Thoughts Chapter 2. Number and Quantity Probes Complex Numbers Rational Exponents Operating With Matrices Chapter 3. Algebra Probes Equivalent Expressions Simplifying Rational Expressions Solving for a Variable Solving Quadratic Equations Systems of Linear Equations Matrix Equations Chapter 4. Functions Probes Jogging: Graphical Representation Interpreting Functions Transformation of Functions Circular Measurement Direct and Inverse Variation Equation of the Function Logarithms Chapter 5. Geometry Probes Properties of Angles Is It a Parallelogram? Names of the Shape Circles and Angles Trigonometric Ratios Geometry Formulas Card Sort Chapter 6. Statistics and Probability Probes Modeling With Linear Graphs Comparing Data in Box Plots Probability Chapter 7. Additional Considerations Establishing Learning Targets Individual Metacognition and Reflection (The 4Cs) Giving Student Interviews Addressing Individual Needs Promoting Mathematical Discourse Supporting the Mathematical Practices Sharing Experiences and Promoting Professional Collaboration Summary Appendix A. Information on the Standards for Mathematical Practice Appendix B. Developing Assessment Probes Appendix C. Action Research Reflection Template: QUEST Cycle References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Helping students master secondary school mathematics just got a whole lot easier! Bestselling authors Cheryl Rose Tobey and Carolyn B. Arline provide 25 detailed and grade-level specific assessment probes that promote deep learning and expert maths instruction. Learn to ask the right questions to uncover where and how students commonly get confused. You'll learn how to: * Quickly diagnose students' common misconceptions and procedural mistakes * Help students pinpoint areas of struggle * Plan targeted instruction that builds on students' current understandings while addressing difficulties with algebra, functions, logarithms, geometry, trigonometric ratios, statistics and probability, and more * Elicit the skills and processes related to the Standards for Mathematical Practices You'll find sample student responses, extensive Teacher Notes, and research-based tips and resources, as well as the QUEST Cycle for effective, hands-on implementation, to help instil new mathematical ideas. This is a great teaching resource with easy-to-implement tools and ideas to build solid mathematics proficiency.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781452276571 (pbk.)
- 1452276579 (pbk.)