Handbook of musculoskeletal pain and disability disorders in the workplace
- Robert J. Gatchel, Izabela Z. Schultz, editors.
- text file; PDF.
- New York, NY : Springer, 2014.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xvi, 509 pages) : illustrations (some color).
- Handbooks in health, work, and disability, 2198-7084
- PART I THE MOST COMMON OCCUPATIONAL MUSCULOSKELETAL PAIN AND DISABILITY DISORDERS.- Occupational Musculoskeletal Pain and Disability Disorders: An Overview.- Back Pain.- Cervical Pain.- Upper Extremity Pain.- Lower Extremity Pain.- Chronic Widespread Pain.-The Problem of Whiplash Injuries: Etiology, Assessment and Treatment.- New Trends of Musculoskeletal Disorders in the Military.- PART II CONCEPTUAL AND METHODOLOGICAL ISSUES.- Search Engines/Resources Available to Obtain the Latest Prevalence and Cost Data for Occupational Pain and Disability Disorders.- Epidemiology of Musculoskeletal Disorders and Workplace Factors.- Acute, Postacute and Chronic Disorders: Differences and Potential Recovery Outcomes.- Psychological and Psychiatric Sequelae of Chronic Musculoskeletal Disorders.- Preemployment and Preplacement Screening of Workers to Prevent Occupational Musculoskeletal Disorders.- Medicolegal Issues Involved in Occupational Musculoskeletal Injuries.- Workers' Compensation and Other Disability Insurance Systems Involved in Occupational Musculoskeletal Disorders.- Approaches to the Quantitative Physical and Functional Capacity Assessment of Occupational Musculoskeletal Disorders.- Current American Medical Association Guidelines for Evaluating Musculoskeletal Impairment and Maximum Medical Impairment.- PART III INTERVENTION APPROACHES AND TECHNIQUES.- Traditional Medical Intervention Approaches to Musculoskeletal Disorders: A Review.-The Biopsychosocial Approach to the Assessment and Intervention for Musculoskeletal Disorders.- The Interdisciplinary Treatment Approach: The Key Components for Success.- Early Intervention to Prevent the Development of Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain and Disability Disorders.- A Review of Self-Management Techniques for Musculoskeletal Pain.- Work Accommodation Methods for Occupational Musculoskeletal Injuries.- Models of Return-to-Work for Musculoskeletal Disorders: An Update.- Vocational Assessment and Training for Patients with Chronic Occupational Musculoskeletal Disorders.- Real-effectiveness Medicine in Musculoskeletal Disorders.- Future Research Directions for Preventing and Treating Occupational Musculoskeletal Disorders.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Chronic pain from job-related stressors is responsible for countless lost work hours and considerable lost revenue-and if current statistics are any indication, the problem isn't going away anytime soon. Between rising numbers of affected workers and rising health care costs, musculoskeletal pain has taken on crisis proportions. The Handbook of Musculoskeletal Pain and Disability Disorders in the Workplace addresses the complex state of the issues in authoritative and practical fashion. Divided evenly between common occupational pain disorders, conceptual and methodological issues, and evidence-based intervention methods, this comprehensive reference presents current findings on prevalence, causation and physical and psychological aspects common to these disorders. Attention is given to working-world concerns, including insurance and compensation issues and AMA guidelines for disability evaluations. Also, specialized chapters offer lenses for understanding and administering the best approaches for treating specific pain disorders, as well as explore what workplaces can do to accommodate affected employees and prevent injuries from occurring in the first place. Among the Handbook's featured topics: * Chronic widespread pain.* Whiplash injuries: etiology, assessment and treatment.* Acute, postacute and chronic disorders: differences and potential recovery outcomes.* Medicolegal issues involved in occupational musculoskeletal injuries.* Self-management techniques for musculoskeletal pain.* Models of return-to-work for musculoskeletal disorders. The Handbook of Musculoskeletal Pain and Disability Disorders in the Workplace offers expert, up-to-date coverage suited to health psychologists, rehabilitation specialists (including physical, vocational, and occupational therapists), human resources and disability management professionals and occupational medicine physicians.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Chronic pain > Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- People with disabilities > Employment > Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- Industrial hygiene > Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- HEALTH & FITNESS > Diseases > General.
- MEDICAL > Clinical Medicine.
- MEDICAL > Diseases.
- MEDICAL > Evidence-Based Medicine.
- MEDICAL > Internal Medicine.
- Chronic pain.
- Industrial hygiene.
- People with disabilities > Employment.
- Health Psychology.
- Occupational Medicine/Industrial Medicine.
- Public Health.
- Chronic Pain.
- Publication date
- Handbooks in Health, Work, and Disability, 2198-7084
- Includes index.
- 9781493906123 (electronic bk.)
- 1493906127 (electronic bk.)
- 1493906119 (print)
- 9781493906116 (print)