A feminist ethnomusicology : writings on music and gender
- Ellen Koskoff ; foreword by Suzanne Cusick.
- Urbana : University of Illinois Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xvi, 237 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- New perspectives on gender in music.
|ML3798 .K67 2014||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 199-225) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- One of the pioneers of gender studies in music, Ellen Koskoff edited the foundational text Women and Music in Cross Cultural Perspective, and her career evolved in tandem with the emergence and development of the field. In this intellectual memoir, Koskoff describes her journey through the maze of social history and scholarship related to her work examining the intersection of music and gender. Koskoff collects new, revised, and hard-to-find published material from mid-1970s through 2010 to trace the evolution of ethnomusicological thinking about women, gender, and music, offering a perspective of how questions emerged and changed in those years, as well as Koskoff's reassessment of the early years and development of the field. Her goal: a personal map of the different paths to understanding she took over the decades, and how each inspired, informed, and clarified her scholarship. For example, Koskoff shows how a preference for face-to-face interactions with living people served her best in her research, and how her now-classic work within Brooklyn's Hasidic community inflamed her feminist consciousness while leading her into ethnomusicological studies. An uncommon merging of retrospective and rumination, A Feminist Ethnomusicology: Writings on Music and Gender offers a witty and disarmingly frank tour through the formative decades of the field and will be of interest to ethnomusicologists, anthropologists, scholars of the history and development of feminist thought, and those engaged in fieldwork. It includes a foreword by Suzanne Cusick framing Koskoff's career and an extensive bibliography provided by the author.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- New perspectives on gender in music
- 9780252038495 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 0252038495 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9780252080074 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0252080076 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780252096402 (e-book)
- 0252096401 (e-book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: