GPS for graduate school : students share their stories
- edited by Mark J. T. Smith ; with contributions from M. M. Browne, Kiana R. Johnson, and William J. Peck.
- West Lafayette, Indiana : Purdue University Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xiv, 196 pages ; 23 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2371.4 .G67 2014||Unknown|
- Smith, Mark J. T., editor.
- Foreword / James C. Wimbush
- Preface / Mark J. T. Smith and Lawrence J. Henschen
- Facilitating the group chapter discussions / M. M. Browne
- Seeking funding / Delia S. Shelton
- The first year : navigating the hurdles / Christy L. Erving, Lauren J. Parker, Jamelle Williams, Sean A. Colbert-Kelly
- Choosing a thesis adviser : surprise and success / Kermin Joel Martinez-Hernandez
- Choosing a thesis advisor : familiar paths and unexpected curves / Nayhr D. Rovira-Figueroa
- Working with committee members / Charles M. Rubert Perez
- Balancing graduate school and family / Joseph Chaney, Andrew Fiss, Francisco Iacobelli, Paul E. Carey, Jr.
- Collaboration / Catherine F. Whittington, Kiana R. Johnson
- Graduate student support programs / Cyndi Lynch, Kathy Garza Dixon
- Publishing while in graduate school / G. Leah Davis
- Life beyond graduate school / E. Shirl Donaldson.
- Publisher's Summary
- This resource book consists of chapters by sixteen graduate student authors and two advisors of graduate students, with corresponding video vignettes that briefly dramatise each chapter's theme and are accompanied by group discussion questions. The chapter topics include seeking funding, the challenges of the first year of graduate school, finding a thesis advisor, working with thesis committee members, balancing family and graduate student life, and life after graduate school.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781557536747 20160614
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781557536747 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1557536740 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781612493138 (epdf)
- 9781612493145 (epub)
Browse related items
Start at call number: