New border voices : an anthology
- edited by Brandon D. Shuler, Robert Johnson, and Erika Garza-Johnson ; introduction by José E. Limón.
- English, Spanish. In English with one contribution translated from Spanish. Many of the literary pieces utilize both Spanish and English vocabulary.
- First edition.
- College Station : Texas A&M University Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xx, 265 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
At the library
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|(no call number)||In process|
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 263-265).
- The border's literary tradition and its sense of place. A "Southern Renaissance" for Texas letters / José E. Limón
- The Texas-Mexico border: this writer's sense of place / Rolando Hinojosa-Smith
- De las voces de muchos. The rain parade / Paul Pedroza
- One pinto bean ; When I was younger ; Ancient houses / Ray Gonzalez
- Voyeurism, or, The third-party politician / Dalel Serda
- Ojos de dios : that's what I said / Tammy Melody Gomez
- Coyotes / Cooper Renner
- Invocation ; El amor prohibido el paso / Abigail Carl-Klassen
- Southbound / Genaro Gonzalez
- How to be la llorona for the city of Sullivan that has no sidewalks / Veronica Sandoval
- Escalera / Ben Roberts
- Ursular ; Calm licks the night / Joseph Daniel Haske
- Popeye was an American citizen and so am I / René Saldaña Jr.
- Border illusion ; Silence / Gene Keller
- The window / Brian Van Reet
- Serape ; Prospective titles for a border thesis / Rodney Gomez
- La huesera, or, Flesh to bone / Irene Lara Silva
- Ode por el amor imprevisto / John D. Fry
- Fertile / Gabriela Ybarra Lemmons
- Wireless panteón / Lauren Espinoza
- The border is a good place to live / Agustín Cadena ; translated by Pat Dubrava
- Wild woman of the Navidad / Shawnee Wren
- From Mariguano: a novel / Juan Ochoa
- Border ; El Paso women / Sheryl Luna
- The 29th of April / Flores
- Dear Celan ; [Magic needed] / Emmy Pérez
- Corrido / Brian Allen Carr
- El Paso and the sister city / Jorge Azcárate
- LoneStar special / David René Solis
- Quitclaim / Sean Chadwell
- Sonnet for human smugglers ; Tough guy / Octavio Quintanilla
- The loss of Juárez / Sergio Troncoso --And old Guerrero waits ; Across / Chip Dameron
- Stupids / Christine Granados
- Santa de las Embarazadas / Beatriz Guzmán Velásquez
- Cobb and me / Robert Paul Moreira
- Daiquiri / Pat Mora
- Un frontera pocho en San Antonio / Isaac Chavarria
- Contrabandista epistle / Jim Sanderson
- El Paso / Kevin Prufer
- Vozilencio: river of voices / Richard Yañez
- La polvadera: border murder ; Desert nectar on scenic drive / Robin Scofield
- Baseball over the moon / Kathryn Lane
- The bone box/Waka Tupapaku / Carmen Tafolla
- A starving Indian woman / John MacAyeal
- Raspas, tequila y balazos ; Where are you, home? / Brenda Nettles Riojas
- My better border / Chuck Taylor
When the "counter-canon" itself becomes canonized, it's time to reload. This is the notion that animates <em>New Border Voices</em>, an anthology of recent and rarely seen writing by Borderlands artists from El Paso to Brownsville--and a hundred miles on either side. Challenging the assumption that borderlands writing is the privileged product of the 1970s and '80s, the vibrant community represented in this collection offers tasty bits of regional fare that will appeal to a wide range of readers and students.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- American literature > Texas.
- American literature > Mexican-American Border Region.
- American literature > 20th century.
- American literature > 21st century.
- Mexican-American Border Region > Literary collections.
- Mexican-American Border Region > Civilization.
- Texas > Literary collections.
- Texas > Civilization.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781623491246 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 162349124X (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781623491253 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1623491258 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781623491635 (e-book)
- 1623491630 (e-book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: