Research from archival case records : law, society and culture in China
- edited by Philip C.C. Huang and Kathryn Bernhardt.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xviii, 568 pages ; 25 cm.
- Social sciences of practice ; v.1.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- The history-of-practice approach to studying Chinese law (introduction to Chinese Civil Justice, Past and Present) / Philip C. C. Huang
- Women and property in China, 960-1949, introduction and conclusion / Kathryn Bernhardt
- Illicit bureaucrats / Bradly W. Reed
- From oral testimony to written records in Qing legal cases / Yasuhiko Karasawa
- Abortion in late imperial China : routine birth control or crisis intervention? / Matthew H. Sommer
- Customary and judicial practices as seen in criminal sales of land in Qing Manchuria / Christopher Isett
- Guoshi killing : the continuum of criminal intent in Qing and Republican China / Jennifer M. Neighbors
- Between the state and the village : land taxation and "substantive governance" in traditional China / Huaiyin Li
- Village-state cooperation : modern community schools and their funding, Haicheng county, Fengtian, 1905-1931 / Elizabeth VanderVen
- Power networks and state-society relations in Republican China / Danny Hsu
- Ceremony and the definition of marriage under republican law / Lisa Tran
- Spousal abuse : divorce litigation and the emergence of rights consciousness in Republican China / Margaret Kuo
- Law, Gongqin, and transnational polygamy : family matters i Fujian and British Malaya, 1855-1942 / Huey Bin Teng
- Centralized minimalism : semiformal governance by quasi-officials and dispute resolution in China / Philip C. C. Huang
- Court mediation in China, past and present / Philip C. C. Huang
- How a "new legal history" might be possible : recent trends in Chinese legal history studies in the United States and their implications / Chenjun You.
Legal history studies generally focus mainly on codified law, without attention to actual practice, and on the past, without relating it to the present. "Research from Archival Case Records" starts from legal practice instead and links the past to the present.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Social sciences of practice : the history and theory legal practice, 2214-952X ; volume 1
- 9789004271883 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 9004271880 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 9789004271890 (e-book)
- 9004271899 (e-book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: