From the margins to the mainstream : enhancing social awareness in the social studies classroom
- edited by Kenneth Cushner, Joanne Kilgour Dowdy.
- Lanham, Maryland : Rowman & Littlefield Education, A division of Rowman & Littlefield, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xiii, 170 pages : ill. ; 24 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1584 .F76 2014||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Introduction Kenneth Cushner Section 1: Addressing Social Justice through Social Studies and Science Activity #1 Futures Window Kenneth Cushner Activity #2 What is a Family? Martha Lash Activity #3 Ideal Types & Transgressors: Reinterpreting the "family tree" Experience Janice Kroeger Activity #4 Do You See What I See?: Using Critical Role-Play to Help Prospective Teachers View Activities From Multiple Perspectives Monica Miller Marsh Activity #5 From Chernobyl to Fukushima: Teaching for Global Justice Frans H. Doppen and Matthew S. Hollstein Activity #6 Global Learning Wiki Chia-Ling Kuo Activity #7 The Arrow Always Points to the Self: Preservice Teacher Learning Through Blurred Geopolitical Identities Jubin Rahatzad, Hannah Sasser, JoAnn Phillion and Suniti Sharma Activity #8 The Coalition for Creative Projects Schea N. Fissel Activity #9 Conversation Partner Experience: A Win-Win Culture Learning Encounter Kenneth Cushner Activity #10 The Intercultural Market: An Exercise in the Development of Cultural Intelligence Keith Sakuda Activity #11 What Lies at the Bottom ...????? An Inquiry-Based Nature of Science (NOS) Activity with a Multicultural Twist Rajlakshmi Ghosh Activity #12 Sexuality, Gender, and Families in the Animal Kingdom: Lessons from the Wild Sara Raven Section 2: Addressing Social Justice through the Social Foundations of Education Activity #13 Critically Examining Gender Roles: Deconstructing the Myth of "Boys will be Boys, Girls will be Girls" Alyse C. Hachey and Yolanda Medina Activity #14 When I Grow up, I'll Work in the Factory Just Like My Daddy: Examining Teaching Practices that Perpetuate the Social Class Status Quo Yolanda Medina and Alyse C. Hachey Activity #15 Middle Class Mentality: Using an Online Course Assignment to Teach Students to Know Self First, Then Other Randall E. Osborne and Paul Kriese Activity #16 Getting to Know You: A Simulation to Understand School Context Joanne Caniglia Activity #17 Person Like Me Jason C. Fitzgerald and April A. Mattix Activity #18 Crossings, Bridges and Borderlands: An Experiential Assignment for Multicultural Education Sofia A. Villenas Activity #19 Follow the Multicolored Brick Road to Cultural Competence Nancy P. Gallavan Activity #20 What is my Cultural Identity? Debra L. Clark Activity #21 Who Am I? Exploring Students' Social Identities and Social Inequalities in Cultural Contexts Jennifer L. Fisette Activity #22 Bricks in a Backpack: Respecting the Invisible Diane M. Vetter Activity #23 Preservice Teachers are Students Too: Developing Awareness of White Identity and Privilege to Facilitate Change for Inclusivity and Equality Tracy Lara Contributing Authors.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781475808926 20160613
- Publisher's Summary
- Understanding and addressing social justice concerns has become a central focus in an increasing number of schools as well as teacher education programs. The activities in this book are grounded in the recognition that personal experience and engagement is essential for meaningful intercultural learning and social justice awareness to occur. The authors of these activities, themselves teachers and teacher educators representing a wide range of disciplines, share their favorite and most engaging strategies they have found to be effective at helping students acquire a level of comfort and insight in what can oftentimes be contentious, challenging and sensitive issues. These hands-on activities actively engage preservice and practicing teachers in real-life and simulated experiences, raising awareness and providing a foundation for introspection, reflection and discussion around these critically important issues in the safety of the classroom setting.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781475808926 20160613
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Title Variation
- Enhancing social awareness in the social studies classroom
- 9781475808926 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1475808925 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781475808933 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1475808933 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781475808940 (electronic)
Browse related items
Start at call number: