Betwixt and between : understanding and meeting the social and emotional development needs of students during the middle school transition years
- Lanham : Rowman & Littlefield Education, a division of Rowman & Littlefield, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- viii, 108 pages ; 23 cm
LB1623 .B483 2014
- Unknown LB1623 .B483 2014
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Preface Understanding Social and Emotional Development and Difficulties in Middle School: An Introduction Chapter 1: Social and Emotional Development during the Middle School Years: Theories and Educational Considerations Chapter 2: The Pre-Adolescent and Adolescent Brain: Current Research and Understandings Chapter 3: The Pivotal Years: How Educators Can Assist Students with the Tasks and Perils of Middle School Chapter 4: Social Media and Middle School-Age Development Chapter 5: Middle School Parenting: Graduation Is Just around the Corner Chapter 6: Teaching at the Middle School Level: Best Practices for Promoting Social and Emotional Development Chapter 7: "We've Got Each Other's Backs": Promoting Social and Emotional Development through Inclusive Leadership Chapter 8: "If You Really Knew Me": An Effective, Middle School-Led Campaign to Stop Bullying Chapter 9: Expanding the Application of Response to Intervention Strategies to Address Social-Emotional Difficulties in Middle School About the Coeditors About the Chapter Authors.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Educators, parents, and those who work with middle school students in various settings will find this book to be a valuable addition to their library. Early adolescence is a time of tremendous change with the potential for positive development in the academic, social, and emotional domains; yet, often this age group struggles to adjust to the transition of middle school and the tasks that are required to be successful there. The authors -- both of whom are seasoned educators and administrators -- cover a variety of topics germane to positive development. These include social and emotional development, current research on the adolescent brain, and the academic challenges of entering middle school. There are also chapters on contemporary issues such as bullying, social media, and inclusive leadership. Parents will find suggestions for how to support their middle school child, and educators will discover a wealth of best practices to incorporate into their interactions with early adolescents and their families.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Nicholas D. Young and Christine N. Michael.
- 9781475808414 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1475808410 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781475808421 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1475808429 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781475808445 (electronic)