The implementation of inclusive education in Beijing : exorcizing the haunting specter of meritocracy
- Kai Yu.
- Lanham, Maryland : Lexington Books, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xiv, 165 pages ; 24 cm.
- Emerging perspectives on education in China.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC1203 .C6 Y9 2014||Unknown|
- Yu, Kai, 1972- author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 153-160) and index.
- Chapter One: The Haunting Specter Chapter Two: Key Issues Chapter Three: The Policy Chapter Four: Implementation Stories: Four Cases Chapter Five: The Implementers Chapter Six: Cross-case Analysis Chapter Seven: Inclusive Education in a Market Society: Remaking Meritocracy with Chinese Characteristics.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780739146989 20160614
- Publisher's Summary
- The education implementation process in China remains uncharted by researchers. The Implementation of Inclusive Education in Beijing: Exorcizing the Haunting Specter of Meritocracy puts forth a general theory on China's education programs, encompassing policy processes, actions, and interactions and grounded on the views of street-level bureaucrats in China. Kai Yu investigates these processes and presents teachers' reflections on the change process, as well as implementation stories from four Beijing schools. He reports on their attitudes, their beliefs, and their pedagogical practices for implementing the innovative education program. Yu argues that the imperatives of meritocratic ideology have undermined the detracking policy and its practice. The strength of a program of change rests not so much on the power of the ideas, purposes, and values as on the reinterpretation of the implementers based on their personal understandings of institution and practice.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780739146989 20160614
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Emerging perspectives on education in China
- 9780739146989 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 073914698X (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780739146996 (electronic)
Browse related items
Start at call number: