Higher education in the American West : regional history and state contexts
- edited by Lester F. Goodchild, Richard W. Jonsen, Patty Limerick, David A. Longanecker.
- First edition.
- New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2014.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxii, 318 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- Higher education & society.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LA230.5 .W48 H54 2014||Unknown|
- Goodchild, Lester F., editor.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction / Lester F. Goodchild, Richard W. Jonsen, Patty Limerick, and David A. Longanecker
- rPart I. REGIONAL HISTORICAL AND COMPARATIVE VIEWS: 1. Western College Expansion: Churches and Evangelization, States and Boosterism, 1818-1945 / Lester F. Goodchild and David M. Wrobel; 2. The Evolution of Institutions in the Westward Expansion / Arthur M. Cohen; 3. Forty-Five Years in the Academic Saddle: The American West, Higher Education, and the Invitation to Innovation / Patty Limerick
- Part II. STATE DEVELOPMENT PERSPECTIVES AND FEDERAL INFLUENCES, 1945-2013: 4. Middle Border States: Higher Education in Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wyoming / Jason E. Lane and Francis J. Kerins, Sr.; 5. History of Higher Education in the Southwest since World War II: Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah / William E. ('Bud') Davis; 6. Higher Education in the Pacific West: Developments in Washington, Oregon, Hawaii, and Alaska / William E. ('Bud') Davis, Lester F. Goodchild, and David A. Tandberg; 7. Higher Education in California: Rise and Fall / Patrick M. Callan; 8. The Federal Government and Western Higher Education / David A. Longanecker
- Part III. A CONCLUDING COMMENTARY: Afterword: Understanding the First Regional History of American Higher Education: The Spirit of Innovation / Lester F. Goodchild.
- Publisher's Summary
- Higher Education in the American West offers the first comprehensive regional history of American higher education, examining the role of each state within four subregions, and demonstrates the importance of understanding the American West's role in higher education nationally. It concentrates on the fifteen-state western region served by the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education compact. Spanning the years 1818 to 2013, campus and state leaders advanced the West's one thousand two hundred public and private institutions of higher learning through the rough founding pioneer days and later nineteenth-century land-grant expansion era to their communities and citizens, reaching contemporary acclaim as world-class research universities during the contemporary service era. The companion volume, Public Policy Challenges Facing Higher Education in the American West, further explores seven current-day regional policy issues in the fifteen western states.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Cover image
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Title Variation
- Education in the American West : history and state contexts
- Higher education & society
- 9781137381941 (hardback)
- 1137381949 (hardback)
Browse related items
Start at call number: