Advancing race and ethnicity in education
- edited by Richard Race and Vini Lander.
- Basingstoke, Hampshire ; New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2014.
- Physical description
- xix, 252 p. ; 24 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC1099.5 .G7 A38 2014||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. Introduction-- Richard Race 2. Identity Performance and Race: The Use of Critical Race Theory in Understanding Institutional Racism and Discrimination in Schools-- Alice Bradbury 3. British Muslim Schools: Institutional Isomorphism and Transition from Independent to Voluntary-Aided Status-- Damien Breen 4. Educational Inclusion: Meeting the Needs of all Traveller Pupils-- Kate D'Arcy 5. Race and Ethnicity in American Education-- Geneva Gay 6. Journeys to Success: An Appreciative Inquiry into the Academic Attainment of Black and Minority Ethnic Students at a Post-1992 London University-- Julie Hall, Jo Peat and Sandra Craig 7. Initial Teacher Education: The Practice of Whiteness-- Vini Lander 8. Overcoming Disciplinary Boundaries: Connecting Language, Education and (Anti)Racism-- Stephen May 9. Beyond Kung Fu and Takeaway: Negotiation of British Chinese Identities in Schools-- Ada Mau 10. Multiculturalism and Integration-- Tariq Modood 11. The 'Schooled Identities' of Australian Multiculturalism: Professional Vision, Reflexive Civility and Education for a Culturally Complex World-- Greg Noble and Megan Watkins 12. Using Specialist Software to Assist Knowledge Generation: An Example from a Study of Practitioners' Perceptions of Music as a Tool for Ethnic Inclusion in Cross-Community Activities in Northern Ireland-- Oscar Odena 13. The Sheer Weight of Whiteness in the Academy: A UK Case Study-- Andrew Pilkington 14. The Multicultural Dilemma, the Integrationist Consensus and the Consequences for Advancing Race and Ethnicity within Education-- Richard Race 15. The Black Child and the Coalition Government-- Jasmine Rhamie.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781137274755 20160613
- Publisher's Summary
- This timely collection focuses on domestic and international education research on race and ethnicity. As co-conveners of the British Education Research Associations (BERA) Special Education Group on Race and Ethnicity (2010-2013), Race and Lander are advocates for the promotion of race and ethnicity within education. With its unique structure and organisation of empirical material, this volume collates contributions from global specialists and fresh new voices to bring cutting-edge research and findings to a multi-disciplinary marker which includes education, sociology and political studies. The aim of this book is to promote and advocate a range of contemporary issues related to race, ethnicity and inclusion in relation to pedagogy, teaching and learning.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781137274755 20160613
- Multicultural education.
- Publication date
Browse related items
Start at call number: