DMZ crossing : performing emotional citizenship along the Korean border
- Suk-Young Kim.
- New York : Columbia University Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xiv, 205 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Kim, Suk-Young, 1970- author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 195-200) and index.
- Acknowledgments List of Illustrations Introduction: Contesting the Border
- 1. Imagined Border Crossers on Stage
- 2. Divided Screen, Divided Paths
- 3. Twice Crossing and the Price of Emotional Citizenship
- 4. Borders on Display: Museum Exhibitions
- 5. Nation and Nature Beyond the Borderland Notes Works Cited Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
The Korean demilitarized zone might be among the most heavily guarded places on earth, but it also provides passage for thousands of defectors, spies, political emissaries, war prisoners, activists, tourists, and others testing the limits of Korean division. This book focuses on a diverse selection of inter-Korean border crossers and the citizenship they acquire based on emotional affiliation rather than constitutional delineation. Using their physical bodies and emotions as optimal frontiers, these individuals resist the state's right to draw geopolitical borders and define their national identity. Drawing on sources that range from North Korean documentary films, museum exhibitions, and theater productions to protester perspectives and interviews with South Korean officials and activists, this volume recasts the history of Korean division and draws a much more nuanced portrait of the region's Cold War legacies. The book ultimately helps readers conceive of the DMZ as a dynamic summation of personalized experiences rather than as a fixed site of historical significance.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents
- Borderlands > Social aspects > Korean Demilitarized Zone (Korea)
- Families > Korean Demilitarized Zone (Korea)
- Koreans > Ethnic identity.
- Group identity > Korean Demilitarized Zone (Korea)
- Korean Demilitarized Zone (Korea) > In popular culture.
- Korean Demilitarized Zone (Korea) > In literature.
- Korean Demilitarized Zone (Korea) > In motion pictures.
- Korea (South) > Relations > Korea (North)
- Korea (North) > Relations > Korea (South)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Winner of Outstanding Book Award 2017
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780231164825 20180530
- 9780231164825 (hardcover : cloth : alk. paper)
- 0231164823 (hardcover : cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780231537261 (electronic)
Browse related items
Start at call number: