Common Core literacy for ELA, history/social studies, and the humanities : strategies to deepen content knowledge (grades 6-12)
- Katherine S. McKnight.
- First edition.
- San Francisco, CA : Jossey-Bass, A Wiley Brand : Staff Development for Educators, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xvi, 197 pages : illustrations ; 28 cm.
- Jossey-Bass teacher.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1050.455 .M468 2014||Unknown|
- McKnight, Katherine S. (Katherine Siewert), author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 187-189) and index.
- Tables and Figures ix About the Author xi About Staff Development for Educators xiii Preface xv Chapter One: Why Does Content Literacy Matter? 1 Chapter Two: Deepening Reading Comprehension Skills and Content Knowledge 9 Chapter Three: Effective Content Area Writing Strategies 61 Chapter Four: Speaking and Listening in the Content Area 85 Chapter Five: Developing Academic Language 91 Chapter Six: Learning Centers and Student-Centered Activities 131 Chapter Seven: Technology Tools for Twenty-First-Century Learning 153 Chapter Eight: Helping Students Become College and Career Ready 167 Appendix A: List of Bonus Web Downloads 173 Appendix B: Literature Circles Resource Guide 175 Appendix C: Resources and References 187 Index 191.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781118710159 20160614
- Publisher's Summary
- Common Core Literacy for ELA, History/Social Studies, and the Humanities In this age of the Common Core State Standards, all content area teachers must integrate literacy standards into their curriculum. If you're like most content area educators, you're feeling a bit overwhelmed at the thought of applying the new standards, or you might just need a little extra help. In this hands-on resource, Common Core literacy expert Katherine McKnight offers secondary teachers a clear understanding of what literacy looks like in English Language Arts (ELA), social studies, and other humanities-related subjects. She gives educators proven teaching techniques that will help them to develop literacy skills in their students. The book offers a wealth of practical strategies and activities that content area teachers can integrate seamlessly. Included are A selection of activities that support literacy skills and build content knowledge Ideas for implementing the literacy requirements of the Common Core in specific content areas An easy-to-use Difficulty Dial that indicates the complexity of each activity Robust student samples that bring the activities to life across a variety of grade levels Praise for Common Core Literacy for ELA, History/Social Studies, and the Humanities "McKnight eloquently dispels much of the mythology surrounding the new standards, and explains how to help students find success. You'll find this engaging book your 'go-to' resource for implementing the Common Core!" - Richard M. Cash, Ed.D., Educational Consultant; Author, Advancing Differentiation: Thinking and Learning for the 21st Century "While this book would be a gift to any beginning teacher, its practical and comprehensible support for literacy as defined by the Common Core State Standards makes it a must-have for all teachers." - Laura Garner, Language Arts Coordinator, Berkeley County (South Carolina) Public Schools "This is a must-read for all middle and high school content area teachers! McKnight shows how every strategy in the book supports student achievement of the Common Core." - LeAnn Nickelsen, M.Ed., Educational Consultant; Coauthor, Deeper Learning and Bringing the Common Core to Life in K - 8 Classrooms.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781118710159 20160614
- Supplemental links
- Cover image
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Title Variation
- Common Core literacy for English language arts, history/social studies, and the humanities
- Jossey-Bass teacher
- "Grades 6-12" -- on cover.
- Available in another form
- Online version: McKnight, Katherine S. (Katherine Siewert) Common core literacy for ELA, historysocial studies, and the humanities 1 San Francisco, CA : Jossey-Bass, 2014 ( 9781118710180 )
- 9781118710159 (paperback)
- 1118710150 (paperback)
- 9781118710265 (ebk)
- 9781118710180 (ebk)
Browse related items
Start at call number: