Seven modern plagues and how we are causing them
- Mark Jerome Walters.
- Washington : Island Press, 
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xxvi, 236 pages)
- Walters, Mark Jerome, author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. The Dark Side of Progress: Mad Cow Disease
- 2. A Chimp Called Amandine: HIV/AIDS
- 3. The Travels of Antibiotic Resistance: Salmonella DT104 53
- 4. Of Old Growth and Arthritis: Lyme Disease
- 5. A Spring to Die For: Hantavirus
- 6. A Virus from the Nile
- 7. Birds, Pigs, and People: The Rise of Pandemic Flus
- Epilogue: MERS-CoV and Beyond
- Publisher's Summary
- Every time we sneeze, there seems to be a new form of flu: bird flu, swine flu, Spanish flu, Hong Kong flu, H5N1, and most recently, H5N7. While these diseases appear to emerge from thin air, in fact, human activity is driving them. And the problem is not just flu, but a series of rapidly evolving and dangerous modern plagues. According to veterinarian and journalist Mark Walters, we are contributing to, if not overtly causing, some of the scariest epidemics of our time. Through human stories and cutting-edge science, Walters explores the origins of seven diseases: Mad Cow Disease, HIV/AIDS, Salmonella DT104, Lyme Disease, Hantavirus, West Nile, and new strains of flu. He shows that they originate from manipulation of the environment, from emitting carbon and clear-cutting forests to feeding naturally herbivorous cows "recycled animal protein." Readers will both learn how today's plagues first developed and discover patterns that could help prevent the diseases of tomorrow.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Epidemiology > Popular works.
- Human ecology > Popular works.
- Environmental health > Popular works.
- MEDICAL / Forensic Medicine
- MEDICAL / Preventive Medicine
- MEDICAL / Public Health
- Environmental health.
- Human ecology.
- Disease Outbreaks > Popular Works > prevention & control.
- Epidemics > Popular Works > economics.
- Environmental Health > Popular Works.
- Sciences de la terre.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- 7 modern plagues and how we are causing them
- Seven modern plagues
- 7 modern plagues
- Previous editions titled as "Six modern plagues and how we are causing them."
- "First Island Press cloth edition, September 2003; First Island Press paperback edition, August 2004"--Title page verso.
- Included Work
- Six modern plagues and how we are causing them.
- Available in another form
- Print version: Walters, Mark Jerome, author. Seven modern plagues and how we are causing them 9781610914659 (DLC) 2013031297 (OCoLC)855332911
- 9781610914666 electronic bk.
- 161091466X electronic bk.