The status of social studies : views from the field
- Charlotte, NC : Information Age Publishing, Inc., 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- viii, 375 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- International social studies forum, the series.
LB1584 .S6917 2013
- Unknown LB1584 .S6917 2013
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Publisher's Summary
- A team of researchers from 35 states across the country developed a survey designed to create a snapshot of social studies teaching and learning in the United States. With over 12,000 responses, it is the largest survey of social studies teachers in over three decades. We asked teachers about their curricular goals, their methods of instruction, their use of technology, and the way they address the needs of English language learners and students with disabilities. We gathered demographic data too, along with inquiries about the teachers' training, their professional development experiences, and even whether they serve as coaches. The enormous data set from this project was analysed by multiple research teams, each with its own chapter. This volume would be a valuable resource for any professor, doctoral student, or Master's student examining the field of social studies education. It is hard to imagine a research study, topical article, or professional development session concerning social studies that would not quote findings from this book about the current status of social studies. With chapters on such key issues as the teaching of history, how teachers address religion, social studies teachers' use of technology, and how teachers adapt their instruction for students with disabilities or for English language learners, the book's content will immediately be relevant and useful.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- edited by Jeff Passe, The College of New Jersey ; Paul G. Fitchett, University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
- International social studies forum : the series
- 9781623964122 (pbk.)
- 1623964121 (pbk.)
- 9781623964139 (hardcover)
- 162396413X (hardcover)
- 9781623964146 (ebook)