The graduate advisor handbook : a student-centered approach
LB2343 .S467 2014
- Unknown LB2343 .S467 2014
- Publisher's Summary
- In the sink-or-swim world of academia, a great graduate advisor can be a lifesaver. But with university budgets shrinking and free time evaporating, advisors often need a mentor themselves to learn how to best support their advisees. Bruce M. Shore, an award-winning advisor with more than forty years of advising experience, is just the coach that graduate advisors need. With The Graduate Advisor Handbook: A Student-Centered Approach, Shore demystifies the advisor-student relationship, providing tips and practical advice that will help both students and advisors thrive. One of the first books to approach advising from the advisor's point of view, the handbook highlights the importance of a partnership in which both parties need to be invested. Shore emphasizes the interpersonal relationships at the heart of advising and reveals how advisors can draw on their own strengths to create a rewarding rapport. The Graduate Advisor Handbook moves chronologically through the advising process, from the first knock on the door to the last reference letter. Along the way it covers transparent communication, effective motivation, and cooperative troubleshooting. Its clear-eyed approach also tackles touchy subjects, including what to do when personal boundaries are crossed and how to deliver difficult news. Sample scripts help advisors find the right words for even the toughest situations. With resources dwindling and student and advising loads increasing, graduate advisors need all the resources they can find to give their students the help they need. The Graduate Advisor Handbook has the cool-headed advice and comprehensive coverage that advisors need to make the advising relationship not just effective but also enjoyable.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Bruce M. Shore.
- Chicago guides to academic life
- Includes index.
- 9780226011509 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 022601150X (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780226011646 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 022601164X (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780226011783 (e-book)