Migrants and refugees : equitable education for displaced populations
- edited by Elinor L. Brown (University of Kentucky), Anna Krasteva (New Bulgarian University).
- Charlotte, NC : Information Age Publishing, Inc., 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xix, 357 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- International advances in education.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LC3715 .M535 2013
- Unknown LC3715 .M535 2013
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Integrating the most vulnerable: educating refugee children in the European Union / Anna Krasteva
- Educational challenges raised by refugee and asylum-seeking children and other newcomers: the Dutch response
- Educating the children of undocumented immigrant parents: the impact of trauma on citizen children's development in the U.S.
- Educational integration of asylum-seeking and refugee children in Sweden
- Schooling on the move: refugee and asylum seeking children in the public school system of Bulgaria
- How the school culture of harmony promotes educational equity for disenfranchised migrant children: an "invisible population" in China
- A humanistic pedagogy: rethinking education for migrant and refugee students in Israel
- Problems and possibilities: equitable education for Australian refugee and immigrant youth and their families
- Welcoming and engaging Latino/a immigrant families: improving student success
- Hong Kong's ethnic and linguistic minority immigrant students: an evaluation of educational support measures
- Fostering African immigrant studetns' social and civic integration: unpacking their ethnic distinctiveness
- "I want dual": transnational identity among Filipino immigrant youth
- Caribbean immigrant students: funds of knowledge and possibilities for successful academic performance
- Influence of trauma and status on the education and wellbeing of undocumented Mexican youth in the U.S.
- Community service learning track in community development and organization in Kakuma Refugee Camp, Kenya
- Hear our voices! Youth and community leaders creating new paradigms for social change in their schools and neighborhoods.
- Publisher's Summary
- International Advances in Education: Global Initiatives for Equity and Social Justice is an international research monograph series of scholarly works that primarily focus on empowering students (children, adolescents, and young adults) from diverse current circumstances and historic beliefs and traditions to become non-exploited/non-exploitive contributing members of the global community. The series draws on the research and innovative practices of investigators, academics, and community organisers around the globe that have contributed to the evidence base for developing sound educational policies, practices, and programs that optimise all students' potential. Each volume includes multidisciplinary theory, research, and practices that provide an enriched understanding of the drivers of human potential via education to assist others in exploring, adapting, and replicating innovative strategies that enable ALL students to realise their full potential. This volume provides the reader with promising policies and practices that promote social justice and educational opportunity for the many displaced populations (migrants, asylum-seekers, refugees, and immigrants) around the globe. The volume is divided into four sections that offer: (1) insights into the educational integration of displaced children in industrialised nations, (2) methods of creating pedagogies of harmony within school environments, (3) ways to nurture school success by acknowledging and respecting the cultural traditions of newcomers, and finally (4) strategies to forge pathways to educational equity. Overall, this volume contributes to the body of knowledge on equitable educational opportunities for displaced youth and will be a valuable resource for all who seek to enable the displaced a place at the political, economic, and social table of civil society.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- International advances in education : global initiatives for equity and social justice
- 9781623964665 (pbk.)
- 1623964660 (pbk.)
- 9781623964672 (hardcover)
- 1623964679 (hardcover)
- 9781623964689 (ebook)