Films you saw in school : a critical review of 1,153 classroom educational films (1958-1985) in 74 subject categories
- Geoff Alexander ; foreword by Thomas G. Smith.
- Jefferson, N.C. : McFarland & Co., Pub., c2014.
- Physical description
- x, 282 p. : ill. ; 26 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1044 .A44 2014||Unknown|
- Alexander, Geoff, 1952-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 263-264), filmography (p. 249-255), and index.
- Social science and geography films
- History films
- Science and math films
- Arts and crafts films
- Literature and language arts films
- Sociodrama films
- Foreign language instructional films.
- Publisher's Summary
- Millions of dollars in public funds were allocated to school districts in the post-Sputnik era for the purchase of educational films, resulting in thousands of 16mm films being made by exciting young filmmakers, an era which lasted until videotape became dominant around 1985. The most interesting films were in the areas of science and the humanities. This book discusses more than 1,000 such films, including many available to view today on the Internet. People ranging from adult film stars to noted physicists appeared in them, some notable directors made them, people died filming them, religious entities attempted to ban them, and even the companies that made them tried to censor them. Here, this remarkable body of work is classified into seven subject categories, within which some of the most effective and successful films are juxtaposed against those that were didactic and plodding treatments of similar thematic material. Many of the films are fascinating, and much of their content remains relevant. This book will appeal to educators and home schoolers looking for exceptional content, to media and educational historians and archivists, and to anyone seeking an unforgettable viewing experience.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780786472635 20160614
- Publication date
- 9780786472635 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0786472634 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: