Negotiating critical literacies with young children
- Vivian Maria Vasquez.
- 10th anniversary edition.
- New York, NY : Routledge, 2014.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xix, 193 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Language, culture, and teaching.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1139.5 .L35 V37 2014||Unknown|
- Vasquez, Vivian Maria author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 181-185) and indexes.
- Contents Preface Acknowledgements Introduction Chapter 1: Creating Spaces for Critical Literacy Chapter 2: Getting Started: Setting the Scene Chapter 3: The French Cafe Chapter 4: Our Friend is a Vegetarian Chapter 5: Save the Beluga Chapter 6: We Know How McDonald's Thinks Chapter 7: A Look Back Over the Year Appendix A: Resources for Negotiating Critical Literacies Appendix B: Alternate Possibilities for Constructing an Audit Trail References Author Index Subject Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415733175 20160613
- Publisher's Summary
- In this innovative and engaging text, Vivian Maria Vasquez draws on her own classroom experience to demonstrate how issues raised from everyday conversations with pre-kindergarten children can be used to create an integrated critical literacy curriculum over the course of one school year. The strategies presented are solidly grounded in relevant theory and research. The author describes how she and her students negotiated a critical literacy curriculum; shows how they dealt with particular social and cultural issues and themes; and shares the insights she gained as she attempted to understand what it means to frame ones teaching from a critical literacy perspective. New in the 10th Anniversary Edition New section: "Getting Beyond Prescriptive Curricula, the Mandated Curriculum, and Core Standards" New feature: "Critical Reflections and Pedagogical Suggestions" at the end of the demonstration chaptesr New Appendices: "Resources for Negotiating Critical Literacies" and "Alternate Possibilities for Conducting an Audit Trail" Companion Website: narratives of ways in which the audit trail has been used as a tool for teaching and learning; resources on critical literacy including links to other websites and blogs; podcast focused on critical literacy and young children.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415733175 20160613
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Language, culture, and teaching
- 9780415733168 (hardback)
- 0415733162 (hardback)
Browse related items
Start at call number: