Hallelujah moments : tales of drug discovery
- Cordes, Eugene H., author.
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xiv, 243 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 25 cm
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 229-236) and index.
- Table of Contents -- Chapter 1: Seduced by drug discovery -- Chapter 2: The small molecules of life -- Chapter 3: Proteins: molecular wonders in three dimensions -- Chapter 4. Proteins perform multiple functions: enzymes, receptors, ion channels -- Chapter 5: Drug discovery and development: the road from an idea to promoting -- human health -- Chapter 6: Finasteride: the Gary and Jerry show -- Chapter 7: Basic research, snake venoms, and ACE inhibitors: Ondetti, Cushman, and -- Patchett -- Chapter 8: Statins: protection against heart attacks and strokes -- Chapter 9: The perils of Primaxin -- Chapter 10: Avermectins: molecules of life battle parasites -- Chapter 11: Fludalanine: nice try but no hallelujah -- Chapter 12: Diabetes Breakthrough: Januvia and Janumet.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Pharmeceutical drug discovery has wide-reaching and obvious effects on the lives of people everywhere, and yet the general public knows very little about the way in which these important products are conceived. We rely on pharmaceuticals to keep us healthy in countless ways, with almost no understanding of the process behind the creation of the drugs we use. in Hallelujah Moments, Eugene Cordes reveals just how some of the most important and influential drugs are made. He shares his firsthand knowledge of the drug-discovery world, having spent a long and distinguished career on both the academic and industrial side of pharmaceutical research. These tales are "adventure stories, " and they follow important drugs like Proscar, Capoten, and Mevacor from the idea stage all the way to the point of being made publicly available. Cordes shows us the dynamic and critical thinking needed to create a useful drug, and the human stories of risk-taking, problem-solving, and, in many cases, failure. Written accessibly for a non-scientist audience, Hallelujah Moments brings the general public up to speed on the fascinating world of drug discovery like never before.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Eugene H. Cordes.
- 9780199337149 (alk. paper)
- 0199337144 (alk. paper)