Community matters : service-learning in engaged design and planning
- edited by Mallika Bose, Paula Horrigan, Cheryl Doble, and Sigmund C. Shipp.
- London : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2014.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxvi, 349 pages : illustrations, maps ; 22 cm.
- Tools for community planning.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC220.5 .C649 2014||Unknown|
- Bose, Mallika, editor.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction: Why Community Matters 1. Taking Stock: Perspectives on Community Matters (Sigmund Shipp, Hunter College) Part 1: Partnering to Advance Productive Community Dialogues 2. Partnering, Because Community Matters (Cheryl Doble, SUNY ESF) 3. Establishing a Place for Common Ground: A Case Study of the Role of a Service-Learning Studio in Neighborhood University Development (Maren King, SUNY ESF) 4. Spaces of Connection: Implementing the Design of a High-Tech Learning Space for Youth (Gibbs, McFarland, Irish, University of Illinois) Part 2: Original Seeing: Beholding Community 5. Recalling and Remembering Community: Cell Phone Diaries (Kofi Boone, NC State) 6. Considering Public History (Deborah Zervus, U. Mass Amherst) 7. Finding and Reassembling Community Amidst Disaster (Nadia Anderson, Iowa State University) Part 3: Co-Imagining Alternative Worlds 8. Clearwater Studio: Co-imagining a Living Past and a Common Future (Lancelot Coars, University of Manitoba) 9. The Politics of Radical Pedagogy: Transforming Power and Seeking Justice (Abbilynn Miler: University of Illinois) 10. Rust to Green: Cultivating Resilience in the Rust Belt (Paula Horrigan, Cornell University, Jamie Vanucchi, State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry) Part 4: Changing from Within: Recasting Academic Communities 11. Democracy Matters, Beginning in the Classroom: Towards a Collaborative (Democratic?) Design Studio (Deni Ruggeri, University of Oregon) 12. Changing Racial Attitudes: Community-based Learning and Service in East St. Louis, Illinois (Stacy Harwood, University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign, and Marisa Zapata, University of Cincinnati) 13. Putting Community First: Reflections on History, Identity, and Power in Local and Global Service-Learning (Lynne Dearborn, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign) Part 5: Outcomes Matter: Creating an Evaluative Community 14. Reaching Out and Reaching In: Investigating Community Impact of a University Outreach Program (Susan Erikson, University of Iowa) 15. Probing Impacts: Voices of Community (Mallika Bose, Pennsylvania State University, Jim Wilson, Danville Business Association) 16. The Semester Ends but the Community Challenges Do Not: A Legacy to Continue the Work in East Harlem (Martin et al, Pratt Institute) 17. Life Before/During/Between/After the Service-learning Design Studios (Jeff Hou, University of Washington) Bibliography.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415723893 20160614
- Publisher's Summary
- Community Matters: Service Learning in Engaged Design and Planning explores issues that resonate with a diverse group of design and planning educators drawn to the challenge of supporting greater community building and empowerment while combining learning with practice. The book explores such questions as: How do we foster mutuality and reciprocity in community-academy partnerships? What conflicts, challenges, limits and obstacles do we face in our service-learning studios and projects? What evidence do we have of our impacts on students and communities and how are we responding? How are we being attentive to the contemporary environmental and societal issues? What is our role as both designers and agents of societal change? How are we innovating to enable greater capacities for individuals, future practitioners and communities? This book provides compelling evidence that educators should be adopting engaged pedagogies, research methods and theories through which they can bring together education, practice and scholarship at the boundary of community and academy.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415723893 20160614
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Earthscan tools for community planning series
- 9780415723879 (hardback)
- 0415723876 (hardback)
- 9780415723893 (paperback)
- 0415723892 (paperback)
- 9781315848730 (ebook)
- 1315848732 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: