Colonized classrooms : racism, trauma and resistance in post-secondary education
- Sheila Cote-Meek.
- Halifax : Fernwood Publishing, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 175 pages ; 23 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|E96.2 .C68 2014||Unknown|
- Cote-Meek, Sheila, 1957- author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 168-175).
- Acknowledgements Setting the Context Conceptualizing the Impact of the Colonial Encounter Negotiating the Culture/Colonial Divide in the Postsecondary Classroom Negotiating Race in the Postsecondary Classroom Trauma in the Classroom Resisting Ongoing Racism and Colonialism in the Postsecondary Classroom Closing the Circle: The Possibilities for Transformational Pedagogy References.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781552666531 20160614
- Publisher's Summary
- In Colonized Classrooms, Sheila Cote-Meek discusses how Aboriginal students confront narratives of colonial violence in the postsecondary classroom, while they are, at the same time, living and experiencing colonial violence on a daily basis. Basing her analysis on interviews with Aboriginal students, Cote-Meek deftly illustrates how colonization and its violence are not a distant experience, but one that is being negotiated every day in universities and colleges across Canada. Cote-Meek traces how education for Aboriginal peoples has been, and continues to be, part of the colonial regime, which is marked by violence, abuses and poverty, and the ways this violence is experienced particularly by Aboriginal students and professors in universities. Drawing upon personal experience and qualitative research, the book essentially explores two questions: how do Aboriginal students confront curriculum on colonial history that is marked by violence? And what pedagogies might be useful in postsecondary classrooms for students that have suffered from colonial violence?
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781552666531 20160614
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781552666531 (pbk.)
- 1552666530 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: