The time is now : understanding and responding to the black and latina/o dropout crisis in the U.S.
- Louie F. Rodriguez.
- New York : Peter Lang, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxiv, 130 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
- Counterpoints (New York, N.Y.) ; V.457.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LC146.5 .R63 2014
- Unknown LC146.5 .R63 2014
- Rodriguez, Louie F., author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 119-124) and index.
- Unveiling the hostility and getting situated in the dropout problem
- Prioritizing institutional culture: proposing the PUEDES approach to understand and respond to the dropout crisis
- Institutional culture under the spotlight: black and latina/o students' voices and experiences in three urban cities
- The hope in our schools and communities: toward a 10-point plan to respond to the dropout crisis
- Keeping the canaries in the classroom: towards a theory of action.
- Publisher's Summary
- The fact that 30 per cent of all high school students and 50 per cent of African American, Latina/o, and Native American students fail to graduate from high school is grounds for alarm in the United States. The Time Is Now argues that understanding and responding to the dropout crisis facing the United States has overlooked one major element - school culture. Using the PUEDES approach as an analytical framework, this book highlights how schools matter and, in fact, hold many of the solutions that contribute to student engagement and disengagement in school, particularly among low-income students of color. Drawing on more than 10 years of school-based research in Boston, Miami, and Southern California, a 10-Point Plan is proposed. The book provides a practical theory of action aimed at challenging the ways schools and communities work together to transform education practice, policy, and, ultimately, student engagement and achievement, particularly among African American and Latina/o students across the United States.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Counterpoints : studies in the postmodern theory of education ; vol. 457
- 9781433123740 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 1433123746 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9781433123733 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1433123738 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781453912171 (e-book)