Assessing research-doctorate programs : a methodology study
- Jeremiah P. Ostriker and Charlotte V. Kuh, editors ; assisted by James A. Voytuk.
- Washington, D.C. : National Academies Press, c2003.
- Physical description
- xi, 153 p. : ill. ; 28 cm
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 65-66).
- 3 Taxonomy 19
- 4 Quantitative Measures 25
- 5 Student Education and Outcomes 31
- 6 Reputation and Data Presentation 35
- 7 General Conclusions and Recommendations 61
- A Biographical Sketches: Committee and Panels 69
- B Program-Initiation Consultation with Organizations 79
- C Meetings and Participants 83
- D Sample Questionnaires 105
- Institutions 106
- Programs 109
- Faculty 114
- Admitted-to-Candidacy Students 118
- Five-Seven Years Post-Ph. D. Students 123
- E Taxonomy of Fields and Their Subfields 129
- F Fields for Ph. D.s Granted During 1996-2001 133
- G Technical and Statistical Techniques
- Alternate Ways to Present Rankings: Random Halves and Bootstrap 137
- Correlates of Reputation Analysis 146.
How should we assess and present information about the quality of research-doctorate programs? In recommending that the 1995 NRC rankings in Assessing the Quality of Research-Doctorate Programs: Continuity and Change be updated as soon as possible, this study presents an improved approach to doctoral program assessment which will be useful to administrators, faculty, and others with an interest in improving the education of Ph.D.s in the United States. It reviews the methodology of the 1995 NRC rankings and recommends changes, including the collection of new data about Ph.D. students, additional data about faculty, and new techniques to present data on the qualitative assessment of doctoral program reputation. It also recommends revision of the taxonomy of fields from that used in the 1995 rankings.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Research > United States > Evaluation.
- Doctor of philosophy degree > United States > Evaluation.
- Science > Study and teaching (Higher) > United States > Evaluation.
- Engineering > Study and teaching (Higher) > United States > Evaluation.
- Universities and colleges > Graduate work > United States > Statistics.
- Evaluation Studies as Topic > United States > Statistics.
- Program Evaluation > United States > Statistics.
- Research > United States > Statistics.
- Sciences (Disciplines scientifiques)
- Recherche universitaire.
- Doctor of philosophy degree > Evaluation.
- Engineering > Study and teaching (Higher) > Evaluation.
- Research > Evaluation.
- Science > Study and teaching (Higher) > Evaluation.
- United States.
- Publication date
- Also issued online.
Browse related items
Start at call number: