Math bytes : Google bombs, chocolate-covered pi, and other cool bits in computing
- Tim Chartier.
- Princeton : Princeton University Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xi, 136 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 25 cm
Math & Statistics Library
|QA93 .C47 2014||Unknown|
- Chartier, Timothy P., 1969- author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 131-132) and index.
- Preface ix 1 Your First Byte 1 2 Deceiving Arithmetic 5 3 Two by Two 11 4 Infinite Detail 21 5 Plot the Course 32 6 Doodling into a Labyrinth 42 7 Obama-cize Yourself 54 8 Painting with M&Ms 61 9 Distorting Reality 73 10 A Pretty Mathematical Face 86 11 March MATHness 98 12 Ranking a Googol of Bits 105 13 A Byte to Go 124 14 Up to the Challenge 125 Bibliography 131 Index 133 Image Credits 135.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780691160603 20160613
- Publisher's Summary
- This book provides a fun, hands-on approach to learning how mathematics and computing relate to the world around us and help us to better understand it. How can reposting on Twitter kill a movie's opening weekend? How can you use mathematics to find your celebrity look-alike? What is Homer Simpson's method for disproving Fermat's Last Theorem? Each topic in this refreshingly inviting book illustrates a famous mathematical algorithm or result--such as Google's PageRank and the traveling salesman problem--and the applications grow more challenging as you progress through the chapters. But don't worry, helpful solutions are provided each step of the way. Math Bytes shows you how to do calculus using a bag of chocolate chips, and how to prove the Euler characteristic simply by doodling. Generously illustrated in color throughout, this lively and entertaining book also explains how to create fractal landscapes with a roll of the dice, pick a competitive bracket for March Madness, decipher the math that makes it possible to resize a computer font or launch an Angry Bird--and much, much more. All of the applications are presented in an accessible and engaging way, enabling beginners and advanced readers alike to learn and explore at their own pace--a bit and a byte at a time.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780691160603 20160613
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9780691160603 (acid-free paper)
- 0691160600 (acid-free paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: