A New Universal Atlas Containing Maps of the various Empires, Kingdoms, States and Republics Of The World. With a special map of each of the United States, Plans of Cities &c. Comprehended in seventy sheets and forming a series of One Hundred And Seventeen Maps, Plans And Sections ... Philadelphia, Published By Thomas, Cowperthwait & Co. No. 253 Market Street. 1850. Entered ... 1844, by Carey & Hart ... Pennsylvania. (title page by) J. Knight Sc [cartographic material].
- Philadelphia : Thomas, Cowperthwait & Co, 1850.
- Physical description
- 1 atlas : 74 maps ; 45 x 37 cm
Also available at
At the library
David Rumsey Map Center
Limited on-site access
Researchers in the Stanford community can request to view these materials in the Special Collections Reading Room. Entry to the Reading Room is by appointment only.
|G1046.F1 M5 1848 LATE ED. F||In-library use|
Item belongs to a collection
The David Rumsey Map Collection was started in the mid 1980s and contains more than 150,000 maps. The collection focuses on rare 16th to 21st century maps of North and South America, the World, Asia, Africa, Europe, and Oceania. The collection includes atlases, wall maps, globes, school geographies, pocket maps, books of exploration, maritime charts, and a variety of cartographic materials.
- Digital collection
- 75771 digital items
- Atlases > 19th century.
- World maps > 19th century.
- Boundaries > Maps > 19th century.
- Cities and towns > United States > Maps > 19th century.
- City blocks > United States > Maps > 19th century.
- Charts, diagrams, etc. > Mountains > Rivers > 19th century.
- United States > Maps > 19th century.
- California > Gold discoveries > Maps > 19th century.
- Local subject
- The David Rumsey Map Collection.
- Publication date
- Late 1850 edition. First edition to have the double page U.S. map by J.H. Young with an inset of the gold region of California. Unusual title page with the printing in gold and the table of contents in red. This is a transition to the full chromo title and contents pages of 1851. The California map is divided into California, Utah and New Mexico for the first time. Most of the maps have dropped the Mitchell imprint and have no imprint. Maps are in full color. Atlas is bound in half leather marbled paper covered boards with label reading "Mitchell's Universal Atlas" in gold.
- References: P800.
- World Atlas.
- Pub list no.: 3802.000.
Browse related items
Start at call number: