The Peoples' Pictorial Atlas. Being A Complete And Popular Account Of All The Countries Of The World, In Their Geographical, Statistical, Topographical And Commercial Aspects. With 52 Maps. Constructed By A. Keith Johnston, F.R.G.S.; Prof. H.D. Rogers, of Boston; Edward Weller, F.R.G.S., and Other Eminent Geographers. Compiled and Edited By Charles H. Jones, Assisted By Theodore F. Hamilton. New York: J. David Williams, Publisher, 46 Beekman Street. 1873. [Entered ... 1873, by J. David Williams ... Washington, D.C.] [cartographic material].
- New York : J. David Williams, 1873.
- Physical description
- 1 atlas : 42 maps ; 51 x 37 cm
Also available at
At the library
David Rumsey Map Center
All items must be viewed on site
Request items by Noon (12p) the day before your visit to allow for retrieval by staff. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|G1046.A5 J6 1873 FF||In-library use|
Item belongs to a collection
The David Rumsey Map Collection was started in the mid 1980s and contains more than 150,000 maps. The collection focuses on rare 16th to 21st century maps of North and South America, the World, Asia, Africa, Europe, and Oceania. The collection includes atlases, wall maps, globes, school geographies, pocket maps, books of exploration, maritime charts, and a variety of cartographic materials., The David Rumsey Map Collection was started in the mid 1980s and contains more than 150,000 maps. The collection focuses on rare 16th to 21st century maps of North and South America, the World, Asia, Africa, Europe, and Oceania. The collection includes atlases, wall maps, globes, school geographies, pocket maps, books of exploration, maritime charts, and a variety of cartographic materials.
- Digital collection
- 68628 digital items
- Atlases > 19th century.
- World maps > 19th century.
- Pictorial maps > 19th century.
- Boundaries > Maps > 19th century.
- Statistical maps > 19th century.
- Topographic maps > 19th century.
- Commerce > Maps > 19th century.
- Local subject
- The David Rumsey Map Collection.
- Publication date
- Maps by Rogers and Johnston, and Weller. This atlas is similar to the Hardesty edition of 1875, but on thinner paper. J. David Williams is sometimes considered to be the author, but Phillips lists this under Jones and Hamilton. The North American maps, with the exception of the New England states and New York and Pennsylvania, are updated reissues of the maps used in Rogers and Johnston 1857 Atlas of the United States, although they are often configured in different groups, indicating that they were copied from the 1869 third edition of the Rogers and Johnston U.S. wall map that is from the same earlier plates, but updated, that the 1857 atlas was made from (see our #5402). Bound in dark green cloth covered boards with "Peoples' Pictorial Atlas." stamped in gold. Full color.
- References: P869.
- World Atlas.
- Pub list no.: 2307.000.
Browse related items
Start at call number: