Johnson's New Illustrated (Steel Plate) Family Atlas, With Physical Geography, And With Descriptions Geographical, Statistical, And Historical Including the Latest Federal Census, A Geographical Index, and a Chronological History of the Civil War in America. By Richard Swainson Fisher, M.D. ... Maps Compiled, Drawn, And Engraved Under The Supervision Of J.H. Colton And A.J. Johnson... New York: Johnson And Ward, Successors To Johnson And Browning Who Were (Successors To J.H. Colton And Company,) No. 113 Fulton Street. 1865. Entered ... One Thousand Eight Hundred and Sixty-four, by A.J. Johnson ... New York [cartographic material].
- New York : Johnson and Ward, 1865.
- Physical description
- 1 atlas : 58 maps ; 48 x 38 cm
Also available at
At the library
David Rumsey Map Center
All items must be viewed on site
Request items by Noon (12p) the day before your visit to allow for retrieval by staff. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|G1046.C1 J6 1865 LATE ED. F||In-library use|
Item belongs to a collection
The David Rumsey Map Collection was started in the mid 1980s and contains more than 150,000 maps. The collection focuses on rare 16th to 21st century maps of North and South America, the World, Asia, Africa, Europe, and Oceania. The collection includes atlases, wall maps, globes, school geographies, pocket maps, books of exploration, maritime charts, and a variety of cartographic materials., The David Rumsey Map Collection was started in the mid 1980s and contains more than 150,000 maps. The collection focuses on rare 16th to 21st century maps of North and South America, the World, Asia, Africa, Europe, and Oceania. The collection includes atlases, wall maps, globes, school geographies, pocket maps, books of exploration, maritime charts, and a variety of cartographic materials.
- Digital collection
- 68628 digital items
- Atlases > 19th century.
- World maps > 19th century.
- Physical geography > Maps > 19th century.
- Statistical maps > 19th century.
- Historical geography > Maps > 19th century.
- Religion > Maps > 19th century.
- Political geography > Maps > 19th century.
- Local subject
- The David Rumsey Map Collection.
- Publication date
- Late 1865 edition. Adds a double page map of "Nebraska, Dakota, Idaho and Montana" that also shows Wyoming - this is a newly drawn map. This is the first appearance of Wyoming on a map (Resor). From Title Page: "The New Plates, Copyrighted by A. J. Johnson, are made exclusively for Johnson's New Illustrated Family Atlas. Others are the same as Used in Colton's General Atlas." In a full morocco binding. Elaborately embossed brown leather covers are stamped with "Johnson's New Illustrated Family Atlas Of The World With Descriptions." and a large U.S. seal with a bald eagle reading "United States Seal. E. Pluribus Unum." stamped in gold; the same design and title is blind stamped on the back cover. The spine reads "Johnson's Family Atlas. Johnson And Ward." Full color maps. Gilded edges.
- References: P4345.
- World Atlas.
- Pub list no.: 0535.000.
Browse related items
Start at call number: