Map Of The Territory Of The United States, West Of The Mississippi River. Prepared by authority Of The Hon. The Secretary Of War in the Office of the Chief Of Engineers under the direction of Brig. General A.A. Humphreys Chief of Engineers and Brevet Maj. Gen. U.S. Army. By Edward Freyhold 1879. (inset) Territory Of Alaska [cartographic material].
- Washington : U.S, 1879.
- Physical description
- 1 map ; 165 x 257 cm
Also available at
At the library
David Rumsey Map Center
All items must be viewed on site
Request items by Noon (12p) the day before your visit to allow for retrieval by staff. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|G4051.R1 1879 .F7||In-library use|
Item belongs to a collection
The David Rumsey Map Collection was started in the mid 1980s and contains more than 150,000 maps. The collection focuses on rare 16th to 21st century maps of North and South America, the World, Asia, Africa, Europe, and Oceania. The collection includes atlases, wall maps, globes, school geographies, pocket maps, books of exploration, maritime charts, and a variety of cartographic materials., The David Rumsey Map Collection was started in the mid 1980s and contains more than 150,000 maps. The collection focuses on rare 16th to 21st century maps of North and South America, the World, Asia, Africa, Europe, and Oceania. The collection includes atlases, wall maps, globes, school geographies, pocket maps, books of exploration, maritime charts, and a variety of cartographic materials.
- Digital collection
- 68628 digital items
- Military maps > West (U.S.) > 19th century.
- U.S. War Dept. > Maps > 19th century.
- United States > Territories and possessions > Maps > 19th century.
- West (U.S.) > Maps > 19th century.
- Middle West > Maps > 19th century.
- Mississippi River > Maps > 19th century.
- Local subject
- The David Rumsey Map Collection.
- Publication date
- Map Data
- Scale 1:2,000,000.
- 5 original sheets of 6, with the title sheet No. 6 (southeast corner) in facsimile. Each sheet is dissected into 24 sections and backed with linen. Wheat: "a complex map very different in aspect from that of 1868, yet no less beautiful, and employing the new information that had reached the War Department during the 1870's." It is a complete redrawing of the Freyhold/Warren map of 1868, larger in scale, and so dense in information that the itineraries are no longer shown. There is an inset of Alaska in the lower right. This copy belonged to James Douglas, the founder of the Phelps Dodge mining empire in Arizona and for whom Douglas, Arizona, was named. In the same year the Army issued somewhat larger versions of this map on thin paper for field use, one example being the Map of California and Nevada with Parts of Utah & Arizona (see our #3360). Each sheet folds with a marbled end paper into brown cloth covers 21.5x12.5 ; the sheet no. and region shown in each map is written in ms on the inside covers, alongside bookplates reading "Jamais Arriere. Ex Libris James Douglas. History Science Literature Theology ..." The facsimile of sheet 6 folds into new brown cloth covers very similar to the original covers. All six maps reside in a new brown cloth slip case 22.5x13.5 with a black label on spine reading "Territory Of The U.S. West Of The Mississippi River. Edward Freyhold. 1879" in gilt. With outline color by state; water in full color.
- Case Map.
- References: Wheat 1295.
- Pub list no.: 3359.000.
Browse related items
Start at call number: